DVA voltage on stator - 2000 Mercury 115

phmorgan88

Cadet
Hi everyone, some great help and very informative info on this forum.

Been having a problem with my 2000 mercury 115 4 cyl having no spark on any cylinder.

I purchased a DVA adapter for my multimeter and tested the peak voltage on my stator and got 164volts max. The manual says should be 180V - 400V. My battery was fully charged. Is there anything else that could cause this low voltage or is my stator the problem and needs to be replaced? Resistance of the stator checked out at 680 ohms.

Thank you all for your help.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: DVA voltage on stator - 2000 Mercury 115

The CDMA modules are wierd on this motor. Cdi tells you to disconnect the cdm module one at a time and heck for spark. A stop circuit failure in just ONE of the modules will stop ALL spark. I have seen this before. Just check it step by step. I believe your motor start on page 88or 89.

phmorgan88

Cadet

Thank you very much for your reply.

I've gone over the CDI manual several times before... Can't seem to narrow the issue down. I disconnected each cdm wire one at a time and no spark. Even interchanged them to see if the cdm was defective. Is the stop circuit the blk/yel wire? I pulled that and still had no spark.

I'm thinking I didnt ground the spark checker well enough? Just found a bolt somewhere to clip it on. Maybe I need to go straight to the block and remove the paint.

Also my yellow wires from stator to voltage regulator are getting very hot and melted at the bullet connectors. I ordered a new volt regulator but I do know this wouldn't cause a no spark issue.

Just can't see why the peak voltage on the stator is so low

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Yes its black and yellow. not sure which one is the rpm limiter though. Since the motor isn't starting, I would expect for the output to be on the lower side of spec, maybe even a little lower. When I checking dva of a stator, normally the output increases gradually to about 2000 Rpms. Also make sure your cranking Rpms are around 250rpms of you won't get a good voltage reading.

If your stator wires have melted, and you are a little on the low side of voltage output, I think you have narrowed it down. Have you disconnected the stator wire and rechecked dva? If so and it stays the same I think you are on target. What do the coils on the stator look like, or are they insulated?

phmorgan88

Cadet

My tach has never worked since I owned the boat so I can't see the RPMs. Would it be beneficial to move the tach wire to the stator? I've heard that will show a reading (if my tach is not broken).

Yes, when disconnecting the stator wires the dva voltage remains the same.

I have the OEM red stator. Yes the stator coils look fine. No major noticeable issues or signs of heat or cracking. I pulled the flywheel to check this. Also the magnets look ok. The only issue here is the low voltage and burned yellow wires. The stator and voltage regulator are the only tested problematic parts I have come across so far.