2000 Mercury 125hp oatboard flooding problems

jabysalh

Recruit
This is were I am currently at....

I have a 2000 Mercury 125HP outboard engine which cold starts fine. However, after running the engine for 30 plus minutes on the water and then stopping to fish or relax, when I try to resart the engine it seems to be extremely flooded, I have to advance the throttle in neutral to almost max to keep the engine from stalling out. It runs extremely rich for several minutes (lots of black smoke and no real power). After five minutes or so, it corrects itself and everything is fine until I stop again.

Here is a list of work recently done... Replaced #3 piston which had worn out and was making an audible ticking sound while running the engine. Replaced all piston rings at the same time and honed the cylinder walls while it was open with a ball hone. Replaced all check values, fuel filter and gas water seperator, rebuilt fuel pump and replaced spark plugs.

The audible ticking sound is now gone with the new piston and rings and the engine seems to have more power while operating. However, the flooding issue is still present....I am running out of ideas, any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan