1979 Mercury 50 WON'T TILT, even in forward

stevland

Recruit
I'm back with another question.

I'm new to all of this, but I'm going to try and use the correct terminology.

Getting ready to trailer my boat and drop it in the water, but I discovered that my '79 Mercury 2-stroke 50 won't tilt, even when the Mercontrol forward gear.

I've been able to overcome this by removing the tilt pin thrust rod. I've sprayed down all of the corresponding parts with penetrating oil.

I see what appears to be an adjustment nut on the cable that leads to the two hooks, but it appears (to a guy with limited mechanical experience) to be totally inaccessible.

When I lower the motor again, while still in forward, the 2 hooks reengage the pin rod.

Slipping out the pin rod on land isn't too big a deal, but in the long term this is going to be a pain.

Any suggestions?

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1979 Mercury 50 WON'T TILT, even in forward

Have you dropped the lower unit to see the condition of the reverse lock cam? There appears to be a problem with the cam installation of the rod adjustment that connects to the bar that the two hooks are attached to. What is the s/n of the engine?

Is this boat new to you and if not did this just happen all of a sudden or after any maintenance was carried out?

Gerry

stevland

Recruit

Hi Gerry, thank you very much for your quick response (although I've been very slow on this end).

This issue did coincide with a tune-up, although all I did was change the spark plugs and the leg oil.

The issue first manifested in not being able to tilt the motor as it was locked (even while in forward gear).

But now I think the problem has become clearer as (I believe) it has also manifested in having to push the throttle fully forward to get going. In fact, it has worsened to the point that, even when fully forward, I cannot get to full speed.

I'd imagine that its a simple adjustment, but I have 0 experience with outboard motors (and very little mechanical experience in general).

Also, I do not have a manual for this motor.

I have tried several times to identify the motor based on its serial #, which is 7128642 (see photo).

If anyone has any quick advice to help me adjust the throttle, I'd really appreciate it! I'm usually not so lazy but our summers are short here in Canada and I just want to be out on the water right now!! :)

photo (3).jpg

carholme

Rear Admiral

Beginning with a 7, that engine is Canadian built and comes up as:

Mercury 50 1979
S/n 07128642 Model 1050529

Parts Listing for model 1050529:

MERC 50 - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

Service Manual P/N: 90-86135--5

1994 Mariner Mercury Outboards Service Manual 45 50 4 Cyl 50 60 70 3 Cyl 2 Carb | eBay

Excellent price and I would get on it quickly.

In the interim, here is a link to the condensed version of the Clymer manual to help you get started. Download it soonest to your computer as the link is short lived.

Small Engine Repair Reference Center Home: MERCURY - MERCURY FOUR-CYLINDER MODELS (1969-1989).

Is this the type of remote control you have?

http://imageshack.us/a/img266/4852/46194058.png

Gerry

carholme

Rear Admiral

Not much you can do inside the remote for the problem you are having. The adjustment nut you are referring to is item 8 attached to rod, item 7 in this link from the parts manual:

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - DRIVE SHAFT HOUSING ASSEMBLY - MERC 50

The bottom of rod 7 rides on item 43, reverse lock cam, in this link:

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - GEAR HOUSING ASSEMBLY, COMPLETE (SERIAL GROUP NO. 7)(PAGE 1) - MERC 50

Scroll down to item 43 where there is a picture of the cam and click on the picture and then click again to blow it up to a size where you can see it. The flat surface at the top is where the rod 7 rides in Neutral and Reverse, holding the claws closed over the pin. But you will see the sloping cam face where travels down when Forward is selected, allowing rod 7 to retreat and pull the claws away from the pin.
I believe that either the cam is installed on the wrong spline on the lower shift shaft or it is terribly worn and that you should drop the Lower Unit to check this first.

Let me know if this is as clear as mud.

Gerry