What's my 98 150 hp mercury worth?

Jamicostanzo

Recruit
I'm new here and I tried to search but didn't get very far. What is a fair price for my motor? It runs, no known issues. Apparently my boat is overpowered which we didn't know and we need to downsize the motor. I have no clue what to try and get for it.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: What's my 98 150 hp mercury worth?

I'm assuming 2 stroke? Has it been run in salt or freshwater? Do you have a maintenance record with it?

Jamicostanzo

Recruit

I'm assuming 2 stroke? Has it been run in salt or freshwater? Do you have a maintenance record with it?

Yes, it's a 2 stroke saltwater. I don't have the maintenance records, haven't had it long. It runs like a champ, we had a problem with the wiring harness losing power last week (busted wire) and the mechanic here wouldn't touch it because it is a 150 and our pontoon is rated for 125. Boats an old playcraft 28 ft pontoon that's been completely redone with a top deck etc. The only place the words playcraft exist is on the title. We had no clue the motor was too big. The top speed is around 20 mph :-/ So basically if we run into a mechanical issue down the road were up a creek without a paddle (or motor lol).

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Well, good on ya for trying to get this matter resolved. It can be taken as a big deal if you were to have an oversized motor on your boat and have an accident. I wouldnt stress it too hard though. This is ALL opinion here, but if it were me Id probably ride it out for the summer, and worry about fixing my oversized motor issue during the off-season. Id definitely tell your insurance company and see what they say. I think owning a boat and not having insurance is INSANE. By the time you sell this motor, get it off the boat, find another motor, mount it, and NOT run into any motor issues with the "new to you" motor that you buy, it may be well past boating season. Another route to go would be to sell the whole package and buy something else.

Back to your main question, not sure where in the world you are, but I am in VA, on the east coast. A "salty" 98 150hp merc would probably carry a $2500-4000 price tag in my neck of the woods. This is assuming that it is in good cosmetic condition, and that the bolts aren't rusted shut on the head, and lower unit. Hard to put a direct price tag on it, not knowing the compression of the motor and other aspects.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

It depends where you are. Here a good running late 90's 150 is going to get $3000-$4000.

As far as insurance or not it all depends where you are as well. Never had it. Probably never will unless I buy a new boat that is financed. I doubt Ive come within 100 yards of another boat in the last 5 years. having said that, my 150 is a 105. Says so right on the motor tag. 105 HP Jet. OK. Its got a prop lower on it now but its still a 105.