No Spark all cylinders, melted wires 2000 mercury 115hp

phmorgan88

Cadet
I recently obtained a boat with a 2000 mercury 115hp 4 cyl. Ran great at first. Then had trouble starting and took many cranks to get it going. Tachometer has never worked. After a while cruising at WOT the motor would bog down and spudder and cut off. Motor has always started right up after warm.

Motor will not start now and I checked spark and there is no spark on all cylinders. Also noticed the bullet connectors on the yellow wires to the voltage regulator and stator have melted. Obviously meaning high heat. I followed the CDI procedure for an outboard with no spark on any cylinders. Using a DVA adapter for my multimeter I checked the peak voltage of the stator at cranking on the wht/grn and grn/wht wires. My manual says the reading should be ATLEAST 180V and I am showing ~160V max while cranking. Also the resistance was fine at 680ohms. Is my stator or voltage regulator bad? I pulled the flywheel and the stator(red) doesn't looked cracked or bad, just has the melted connectors on the yellow wires. Why would my wires be melting? Is there a short in the circuitry?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you