Mercury 1987 150 XR2 dies when put into gear

jimbass55

Cadet
I just rebuilt the carbs, fuel pump, impeller, compression checked 125 on all cylinders. Idles great...starts great...dies when I put into gear to get off trailer...

Could the floats be set wrong...They are near level with a very slight hang when upside down.

I can adjust the idle higher and make it a little better, but the shifting becomes really rough...Please help...I would like to do this myself and save some scratch.

daveswaves

Ensign
Re: Mercury 1987 150 XR2 dies when put into gear

More than likely you are just too leam, a common problem after rebuilding carbs. Back your mixture screws out 1/2 turn and try again. Do not up your idle, you will just beat up your lower end gears. You may have to back it out an additional 1/2 turn until you get it right.

jimbass55

Cadet

dumb question...but does mine have mixture screws? I thought it was all automatic jets type thing...Thanks for the fast reply.

daveswaves

Ensign

dumb question...but does mine have mixture screws? I thought it was all automatic jets type thing...Thanks for the fast reply.

OOPS, sorry bout that, your carbs do not have adjustable mixture screws.:facepalm:

jimbass55

Cadet

No prob...So do you think just adjust the floats with a little more hang? I had them hanging way too much originally and it was running rich.

Olds85cutt

Recruit
I know this is old I'm having the same issue. And it was doing it before I rebuilt the carbs. My dad's 150 xr2 1986 has been sitting for like 10 years and I cleaned it all out and got it running but dies when put into gear. Like instant no sputtering at all it was so hard to start but I got it going and took it out for a test but can't put it into gear.. so I did do a carb rebuild after that to fix the hard to start issue plus it had never been rebuilt before so I know it was time but I found a video last year of a guy claiming the Rectifier solved this for him to I ordered one put it on but it did nothing for me so I'm still searching. Don't know if the guy who started this post will see this and if he fixed his and can tell me what he did thanks Shaun.