140hp Mercury Shifting Problem

Kilpack

Cadet
Hey All,
I have another thread open about my merc not wanting to run (bought in lower elevation and brought up to Wyoming with much higher altitude, the engine was bogging down when in gear and dying while idling).
I had a lot of help and I hope that I have that issue fixed.
However, I took the boat up to the lake this weekend and she fired up alright, but I couldn't get it to shift into forward!
It worked fine 2 days before I took it up to the lake, while I had the engine on the muffs in my yard.
I traced out the cables and couldn't find anything obvious. It will shift into reverse.
Even with the neutral locker pushed in, I can't push the lever forward, even to just to rev up in neutral! It feels like the lever hits a wall, or a locker, just past neutral!
I took the lever box apart and checked inside there where I could, but didn't see any obvious problems inside either!
I am going to take the cables and plates apart inside so I can get a better look at the gears tomorrow.
Any ideas what my problem is? Or how it became a problem?

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 140hp Mercury Shifting Problem

Problem still sounds like it is in the control box but to verify, unhook the cables at the engine end and shift the engine manually. If it shifts OK, then it probably will be the box.

Do you know what type of control box you have and the engine s/n?

Gerry