Mariner 60HP stuck lower unit

Matt_K

Recruit
First off I'm new so please excuse me if this is a frequently asked question/problem.

I have an 88 or 89 Mariner 60 hp 3 cylinder that I'm trying service the water pump on. The lower unit is stuck. After removing 1 nut on each side, one nut above prop, trim tab, and nut under trim tab I was able to drop it maybe a quarter inch and it won't move anymore. It also has more play at the rear than at the front. Is there any shift linkage that has to be removed? If there is, I haven't removed it or even found it. I've tried wooden wedges in the small gap with no luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Mariner 60HP stuck lower unit

That s/n comes up as:

MARINER - ( 60 H.P. (1989 ))
Serial No: 0B399344 Model No: 7060412PD

Parts List and Service Bulletins for s/n 0B399344:

Search Results - Crowley Marine

In the parts list, see item 43 under GEAR HOUSING (DRIVE SHAFT). This is the lower shift shaft which is splined to the upper and will separate when the LU drops.

It drops more at the rear than the front as the main driveshaft is located closer to the front and it probably has corrosion on the splines that fit into the lower part of the crankshaft.

With everything disconnected, you have to use the wedges and try to free up that corrosion before the LU will drop further.

Here is a link to the condensed version of the Clymer manual to double check that you have everything undone. Download it soonest to your computer as the link is short lived.

Small Engine Repair Reference Center Home: MARINER - MARINER 50, 60 AND 70 HP (3 CYL.).

See page 147, R&R AND OVERHAUL and fig. MR22-23 on page 148.

Gerry