1985 35hp mercury lower unit wont drop.

I have done all the searching I can, I need someone to hold my hand through this. I have all the bolts out, and its hanging about an inch. I have read posts about having to disconnect the shift linkage, and some say you dont. I removed everything in the way so I had access to the shift linkage. And at the connection to the shaft is an expanded pin, one that can not be removed but drilled out. So that seems to be the wrong spot. Anybody with experience about if, and how to remove said shift shaft connection.

Attachments

• IMAG0236.jpg
    IMAG0236.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0239.jpg
    IMAG0239.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 0

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1985 35hp mercury lower unit wont drop.

What is you engine s/n? If you are sure it is a 1985, here is the parts list:

35 H.P. - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

What you are showing in picture 2of2 is actually the top end of the upper shift shaft, seen as item 19 under SHIFT CONTROL LINKAGE. The lower end of that shaft has a splined coupler that fits the lower shift shaft, seen as item 43 under GEAR HOUSING (DRIVE SHAFT).

When you have all of the bolts undone and the LU is ready to drop, there is nothing you have to do with the shift system as the upper and lower shift shafts will slide apart on their splines.

Here is a link to the condensed version of the Clymer manual which will show you everything that has to be undone. Download it soonest to your computer as the link is short lived.

Small Engine Repair Reference Center Home: MERCURY - TWO-CYLINDER MODELS.

If you have everything disconnected, it is probable that you have some corrosion in the shift shafts mating splines or the splines at the top of the driveshaft where it enters the crankshaft. Get some wooden wedges on each side in the gap you have and start tapping the wedges in to see if it will break the corrosion. Be prepared for the LU to drop quickly if you are not holding it. With any luck, it should come with a few good hits but if it is severe, you may have your work cut out for you.

Let us know how you get on and Good Luck!

Gerry

Thanks Gerry. I forgot to update. I got the good word about the shift shaft being a spline connection. It ended up being a little bit of corrosion due to it being together for who knows how long. It took alot of rocking with a second pair of hands and tapping with a rubber mallet. I made sure to clean and grease it up good before I put it back together. Pumps water like a champ now. Thanks again Gerry, hopefully this can assist someone in the future.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Good effort on your part and glad you are happy with it.

Gerry