Need help with 1964 mercury 35 hp kiekhaefer, crank but no start

1949customf100

Recruit
hey guys, new guy and like usual the first post is a need help post. Just picked up a 14 foot cadorette/trailer/Merc 35 for $250, figured id take the chance on it, hell its got a scoop on it :DPrevious owner said it ran fine last year and wouldn't start this year, The starter spins strong and cranks everything over but motor wont start.

the gas smelled like varnish so I emptied and cleaned the tank and lines, flushed/filled with new gas/oil and fuel treatment.

Plugs looked due so changed/gapped new plugs. Cleaned all terminal and dielectric greased everything. I don't know much about points ignition or what to test for at the coil (where ever it is )

Cut back battery cables till clean copper and put new marine terminals on

Ive tried spraying quick start into the carb but just cant get this thing to start. Im a hotrod/motorcycle guy and can usually get anything with a motor running, but my outboard experience is minimal. Theres also a missing switch on the top of the outboard casing, sure its not related but if you know what was there let me know. Any suggestions/troubleshooting scenarios would be greatly appreciated.

mercboat_zps2d4da248.jpg Photo by blingblingfire | Photobucket

merc1_zpse7b1940e.jpg Photo by blingblingfire | Photobucket

mercboat_zps2d4da248.jpg Photo by blingblingfire | Photobucket

1949customf100

Recruit
Re: Need help with 1964 mercury 35 hp kiekhaefer, crank but no start

Update

Pulled the plugs and, threw the wires on and grounded it out on the block.... and got no spark at all.

Im assuming the flywheel has to come off to access the ignition system, my question now is how? the prop turn when I try and get the large flywheel nut off. When I am the prop with wood the flywheel still turns and just clicks...

bgc

Ensign

Cool lookin boat!

Yup, pop the flywheel off and the stator plate is under it.
Replace the condenser while you're in there, I do mine every other year on each on my engines.

1949customf100

Recruit

No one has any info? just bought the Seloc online manual for it. Wheres the best place to start to diagnose the no spark issue?

bgc

Ensign

Wrap a strap around the flywheel to hold it tight while wrenching on the nut. I use a tow strap out of the truck.
Put some penetrating oil on the crank coming thru the flywheel and let it sit for a day or two. Use a puller to remove the flywheel.

Look at the condition of the coils, if they are cracked or deformed, most likely this is your culprit.
Clean, gap, and lube the points(replace the condenser)

This is a basic ignition system and should not be hard to figure out whats going on.

post plenty of pics

1949customf100

Recruit

with the key on the "on" Position there is no power at the terminal block that feeds the ignition. (the 2 yellow leads that run up to the magneto) If theres no power feeding the ignition that's a definite issue.... faulty switch at the controls? my wiring seems to be orange/salmon not white/salmon as on the diagram

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/blingblingfire/merc4_zps48d6f221.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/blingblingfire/merc3_zpsbff02288.jpg

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

There is no power at the ignition terminals. That's an ON/OFF switch only with the wires from the points running to that block. The ignition is self-contained and does not need 12V to operate. Your motor will run just fine with the plug unplugged from the side of the motor. As a matter of fact, for testing purposes, unplug it and rope over to test for spark as that will eliminate the control box as an issue.

1949customf100

Recruit

the pull start isn't catching the fly wheel, but ill jump the starter solenoid to see if theres spark with the motor unplugged