Mercury model 200 won"t pump water even after a new water pump

magikk

Recruit
Hi everyone,I have a model 200 20HP mercury I believe it is a 1976.It wasn't throwing any water out of the pee hole so I changed the impeller and that still didn't help although it did pump for a few minutes and stopped.So today I put a whole new water pump kit in and I have the same result. It will pump for a few minutes then stop but not really a steady stream its in spurts and when it quits it may start pumping if I restart.The copper tube is clean from the pump to the head.If I blow air into the pee tube hose it comes out at the top of the cowling could the seals where the copper pipe goes into the bottom of the motor be bad.I'm at a loss so any help would be appreciated.The motor starts with one or two pulls and sounds really good. Thanks MIke

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: Mercury model 200 won"t pump water even after a new water pump

What did the impeller that you changed look like. where all the fins on it?

magikk

Recruit

What did the impeller that you changed look like. where all the fins on it?

The impeller I took out was in pretty good shape it wasn't missing any fins or tore up.

magikk

Recruit

Hi again i just thought I'd post a update.Today I took the lower unit off and hooked the garden hose to the water pickup tube to the head and I guess something must have been clogged because now its pumping water out of the P hole. Mike