1984 60hp outboard Mercury running sluggish/stalling

SSGT/USMC

Recruit
Hello everyone,
This is my first post, so hopefully I can get some help from you seasoned boaters and mechanics out there. I recently purchased a 1984 15' Rinker v153. It has a 1984 60hp 3 cylinder Mercury outboard (engine serial number 6462001) I took it out on the water for the first time and had a little trouble with it stalling when I went from neutral to gear. Once I finally got moving all was well for about 10 minutes, I got it up to 28 mph. It then started to bog down and stall. After a few attempts it started again and would run, but still sluggish. This went on for about an hour. Brought it back home, took the two carburetors off, soaked them, cleaned them out with carb cleaner spray, then took the air compressor to them. Everything looked clean, both floats moved up and down smoothly and they went back in with ease with new gaskets. I removed and drained the gas tank, put some sea foam in it and shook it out and drained every drop. Filled the tank with 6 gallons of 91 octane (ethanol free) gas, mixed some Mercury brand outboard oil (exactly 50:1) put in 6oz of sea foam. Thought I was good to go. Put a big tupperware bucket under it, fired it up, and it would not run in neutral. I had to have it revved up to even start it. I adjusted the idle stop screw and was able to get it to start right up, was able to put it in to forward and reverse with out stalling multiple times. Turned it off started it right back up repeated multiple times. Was happy, grabbed the wife and dogs and went to the river, started right up popped it in to gear no problem. Got about 100 meters out started to give it some throttle, it wouldn't get out of its own way. Couldn't go more then 5-7mph. put it in neutral and it would rev up normally, as soon as I put it in gear no power, no speed. This went of for about 15 minutes, then it even got sluggish in neutral and stalled out once. Brought it home, blew out the fuel lines from the tank to the filter, removed the filter, cleaned it, and just bought a spark tester. All 3 cylinders are getting good strong spark. Please help!!

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1984 60hp outboard Mercury running sluggish/stalling

I am still learning alot of this stuff myself but first off I would say that you are adjusting your carbs, you need to do it on the water. What happens is that when you put your motor in the tub, it may not be as submerged as it would be in the lake. Sounds like you were at a good starting point so get on the water and turn both carbs out in small increments until you get it right. Be sure to give it some time and run the motor between adjustments.

SSGT/USMC

Recruit
Re: 1984 60hp outboard Mercury running sluggish/stalling

1st Class,
The only adjustments I did was the idle stop, it was not on the carb itself. I do not know how to adjust the carb, but I would like to. If you can steer me in the right direction, I can take it out on the lake and give it a try.