1987 Mercury 35 hp no hot start issues

mbollmann

Recruit
1987 Mercury 35 hp, starts right up when cold, purr's like a kitten and takes off like stripped butt ape, it will run great at full throttle, half throttle and even idle after running. It doesn't seem to matter if you run it for 10 minutes of 30 minutes, but the problem is when you shut it down and try to restart it won't, unless you let it sit for about 20 minutes or so then she fires right up again and off to the races. There is no sputtering, missing or any other weird things going on when it's running. i have took off the hood to see if there is anything going on, and I can smell fuel, but it is a 2 stroke. this motor is new to me so I am not very familiar with it yet. Does or has anyone had these issues before and have a idea as to what direction I should go in for testing. It hasn't done this at home yet, but i haven't ran it long enough to get it hot.

alboski

Recruit
Re: 1987 Mercury 35 hp no hot start issues

1987 Mercury 35 hp, starts right up when cold, purr's like a kitten and takes off like stripped butt ape, it will run great at full throttle, half throttle and even idle after running. It doesn't seem to matter if you run it for 10 minutes of 30 minutes, but the problem is when you shut it down and try to restart it won't, unless you let it sit for about 20 minutes or so then she fires right up again and off to the races. There is no sputtering, missing or any other weird things going on when it's running. i have took off the hood to see if there is anything going on, and I can smell fuel, but it is a 2 stroke. this motor is new to me so I am not very familiar with it yet. Does or has anyone had these issues before and have a idea as to what direction I should go in for testing. It hasn't done this at home yet, but i haven't ran it long enough to get it hot.

Did you find anything out I have same problem with a 9.8 had it to mechanics and they can't figure it out or they just want me to buy a new motor. I guy maybe electrical

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you shut the engine off and then try to restart soon, do you get spark?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

the problem is when you shut it down and try to restart it won't,
Does it just crank and crank or does it hit ,sputter and die?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

All you should have to do on a warm motor is turn the key.