2000 Mercury 125 hp Ignition Problem - Just getting a click - Will not engage starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryahal

Recruit
Having a problem starting my Mercury 125. The ignition is a push to choke, when I turn it over the gauges come on and then turn to the start position and just get a click. Sprayed some electronics cleaner in the key hole as well as the back of ignition switch and wiggled it, which seamed to work and the motor fired up. The next day we load up the family and once again back to just a click. After spraying with the cleaner and trying multiple times I got it started. After running for a while I turned it off and was not able to get it started even with spraying it. Finally I jumped it at the motor with a wrench and was able to return back to the dock. With the ability to get the starter to engage by jumping it with the wrench I assumed my problem was with the ignition switch itself. Tonight I changed out the ignition switch, that seams like an exact fit, the only difference is the switch came with screws, where the old switch did not have screws rather the connectors that slide over top and onto the poles. I slid the connectors ,one pole at a time to match them up, and still have the exact same problem. Not sure where to go from here, but once again I am assuming it is an electrical problem. Any thoughts world be greatly appreciated!

Sloppy78

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2000 Mercury 125 hp Ignition Problem - Just getting a click - Will not engage sta

Did you fix the issue I am having the same problem and need help

ryahal

Recruit
Re: 2000 Mercury 125 hp Ignition Problem - Just getting a click - Will not engage sta

Did you fix the issue I am having the same problem and need help

Changed the solenoid and has been working great. Hope that helps!

thehof

Recruit
I'm having exact same problem......I replaced with new solenoid and I still have same issues........any one have any more solutions? I only seem to have issues when its wet out side or there's moister.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'm having exact same problem......I replaced with new solenoid and I still have same issues........any one have any more solutions? I only seem to have issues when its wet out side or there's moister.

Read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.