1979 Mariner 80 hp gas/oil mixture ratio info needed

NE_Ohio_Boater

Recruit
Hi all! I'm new to the forums. I have a 1979 Mariner 80 hp, 4 cyl outboard that I am working on. Does anyone know what the gas/oil ratio is? My boat hasn't seen water since 1996 and I can't remember the ratio. It's been stored inside since then. I took the cover off the motor and everything "looks" in perfect condition except the inner wire harness...I will be rewiring it. Besides the gas/oil ratio info needed, is there anything I need to check before I try to start this motor? I will be changing the usual things like lower unit oil, and spark plugs. The motor was professionally rebuilt and only has about 25 hours of running time on it before it was put in the garage for storage. Also I can't remember if it had gas in the carbs when I stored it.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1979 Mariner 80 hp gas/oil mixture ratio info needed

50:1 fuel/oil ratio

For the cost of it, I would definitely change the water pump impeller. Pour some fuel/oil mix in the sparkplug holes and very slowly turn it over with the flywheel to try and get those cylinder walls cleaned and lubed a bit.

Gerry

NE_Ohio_Boater

Recruit
Re: 1979 Mariner 80 hp gas/oil mixture ratio info needed

Thanks for the info. It is greatly appreciated! Good idea on the oil/gas in the spark plug holes....Thanks!!

Van