FIXED Optimax Oil Pump Prime Not Working HELP!

sidenberg

Petty Officer 1st Class
2000 Optimax 150. Replaced oil pump and hoses. To start oil pump prime I turned key to on and move shifter from neutral to forward 5 times. Nothing happens. At least I do not hear anything. Tried it numerous times. Nothing. WHen key is turned to on the normal beep is heard. All fuses look good. I am sliding into severe depression as the salmon are running here big time. This is what I have been waiting for all year. I am wondering if the pump is bad although it is brand new from Crowley Marine. I can not bear to have to pull that out again and wait for a new one. Gotta be something simple here. Please, someone must have a solution. Help!

Last edited:

sidenberg

Petty Officer 1st Class
FIXED: Optimax Oil Pump Prime Not Working HELP!

FIXED: Optimax Oil Pump Prime Not Working HELP!

I'm guessing there are not to many Optimax owners on thsi site. For the record, turns out the shift shaft switch was faulty as it failed the continuety test. In the interim I was able to get the pump prime procedure to work by tricking the computer by bypassing the switch with a jump wire attached and removed quickly 5 times. Almost as fun as fishing!

fergusmj

Cadet
Re: FIXED Optimax Oil Pump Prime Not Working HELP!

Can you explain how you "jumped" and how you did the continuity test? I think I might have the same issue as I couldnt get mine to "prime" with the 5 shift method.

Thanks.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: FIXED Optimax Oil Pump Prime Not Working HELP!

Can you explain how you "jumped" and how you did the continuity test? I think I might have the same issue as I couldnt get mine to "prime" with the 5 shift method.

Thanks.

Hey fergusmj, this thread is a year old. It would be best to start your own...... Thanks
WIMUSKY