1989 15 mariner stuborn carb!

jbest

Recruit
Hey all.

I bought an 1989 15 mariner Serial oc116911. It seemed fine in test tank idled ok and real easy to start. When out on the water same thing easy start and nice idle but when I turned the throttle to wot it would start to die off unless you gave it full choke and even then it was running like a 9.9. So pulled and soaked the carb (dismantled and pulled high speed jet and fuel pump and top plate) overnight. Attempt number 1 resulted in a very difficult to start. So I pulled it off again and double checked my work and resoaked. Attempt numb 2resulted in same thing very hard to start and very rich, in fact I can screw the slow needle all the way seated and it's still to rich. My question is where's the clog or where is the gas coming from. I'ts not spilling out of carb primer is working and what do I need to do to get this thing back to par.

Compress: 120/cylinder
Spark: over an inch

THanks for listning

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: 1989 15 mariner stuborn carb!

Just ME. when pull a carb. I buy a gasket kit that has carb,pump and enricher pump gaskets. It is not worth pulling the carb and not rebuilding for 50 bucks. I also soak, blowout orifices and run 25 lb mono fishing line thru alll orifices for the heck of if.???

jbest

Recruit
Hey all.

I bought an 1989 15 mariner Serial oc116911. It seemed fine in test tank idled ok and real easy to start. When out on the water same thing easy start and nice idle but when I turned the throttle to wot it would start to die off unless you gave it full choke and even then it was running like a 9.9. So pulled and soaked the carb (dismantled and pulled high speed jet and fuel pump and top plate) overnight. Attempt number 1 resulted in a very difficult to start. So I pulled it off again and double checked my work and resoaked. Attempt numb 2resulted in same thing very hard to start and very rich, in fact I can screw the slow needle all the way seated and it's still to rich. My question is where's the clog or where is the gas coming from. I'ts not spilling out of carb primer is working and what do I need to do to get this thing back to par.

Compress: 120/cylinder
Spark: over an inch

THanks for listning
Hi