35 mercury is losing prime

WhoDey_78

Recruit
This is a three part problem. I have a 1989 35 hp mercury that is very difficult to prime. All the lines seem connected tightly, but the ball never gets firm. After it starts and I run across the lake, it's not uncommon for me to need to prime the ball again after stopping for only five minutes. When throttling down, (e.g. when loading or approaching a dock) the boat almost always dies. I've changed the plugs and fuel filter, and I'm planning on tackling the carb next. Any guidance or thoughts on these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 35 mercury is losing prime

You definitely have an air leak in there somewhere, OR your maybe tank's vent is blocked??

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have you looked to see is gas is coming out of the carb(s) when pumping the bulb? When you order parts, get a fuel pump kit too.

WhoDey_78

Recruit

Have you looked to see is gas is coming out of the carb(s) when pumping the bulb? When you order parts, get a fuel pump kit too.

The morning I went to work on it (Yesterday) there was fuel dripping out all over. I pumped the ball and saw fuel coming from out of the carb. The fuel line and ball are fairly new and the check valve is working. I replace the line from the pump and filter to the carb. That's when i really noticed it dripping from the carb. Took the carb apart and all seems good, but I'm ordering a new needle valve, gaskets, and fuel pump kit.