1987 mariner 30hp 2 stroke runs erratically

wpg manitoba

Seaman
I can't seem to get a good constant idle from this engine. Right now the only way I can use it is I start it up starts to rev high, turn it off stick it in gear quickly then ignition back on. sorry confusing but it's the only way I can use it right now. its very annoying to use an outboard like this.
Also It does not run well at higher rpms as well. it seems to run great from low to mid throttle. once I start to use it at higher rpm, it runs erratically. It will run strong then almost like it stalls and losses power then runs strong again.
I found some leaks in the fuel line which didn't fix the problem but at least made it usable. I tried cleaning the carberator myself but I'm not exactly a pro at doing this so not sure if I missed anything. Compression seems great. 125 and 130psi.
I don't know what else to do. fuel filter is clean on outboard, all fresh gas with some seafoam in it. What I do find strange is when I squezze the bulb I see air in the fuel filter as I pump then it goes away after I stop pumping.
I need help

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 mariner 30hp 2 stroke runs erratically

It sounds like something is interfering with your throttle linkage to me. When I got my 40HP mariner it was previously toyed with by a backyard mechanic wanna be and I had to re-route some things and replace some screws etc which were all doing the same thing.

The high speed thing sounds more like a fuel starvation issue to me.

Mi duckdown

Commander

If were my motor. I would buy gaskit kit. rebuild the carb and fuel pump. 50 bucks. I also think that motor is an enricher/choke set up. Buy the kit that includes that also.

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class

@Mi duckdown
Hmm never thought of the chock acting up.. That's also a possibility! Good call.

wpg manitoba

Seaman

@Mi duckdown
Hmm never thought of the chock acting up.. That's also a possibility! Good call.

Bin a little tied up but no don't think it's the choke. The choke set-up on this outboard has a manual push open and close kind. But it also has the choke control on the ignition switch which I can use to get it going. other then when I first start it up it doesn't really need it anymore and when I try using it just makes my situation worse. Next time I'm out on the water I can play around again with it but I don't think it's a choke issue from what I'm seeing.