Newbie needs help!! 1986 ProCraft with Mercury Black Max 150 XR2 wont go into gear..

lightgroove

Recruit
Greetings friends,

I finally accomplished a dream of mine and purchased a used bass boat. Its a 1986 Procraft fish and ski. It has a 150 hp Mercury Black Max XR2 .I am a newbie when it comes to boat ownership and understanding the intricacies. Please be patient with me..

We inspected the boat during the purchase process however only "dry" ran it (water muffs) before the purchase. All seemed ok from what I researched and could check.

When then lake tested it. The boat has run extremely well with the exception of a hard start every now and then. Apparently normal for this motor. After a few light outings (only pushed the boat to 1/2 throttle) I started to notice a slight "gear oil" type smell and saw a small amount leaking out of the side of a vent hole. I checked the vent plug on the other side to check fluid levels and a small amount dripped down but i noticed it was pretty foul smelling...it didnt pour out ...I did not pay a lot of attention to the color..it was a little milky...figured it was age and I planned to change it.

Now the problem...I decided to upgrade the prop on the boat to assist in more lift for the family. The boat kind of dragged before planning. The original was a 14" 19 pitch 3 blade and I swapped it for a 14.5" 17 pitch 4 blade. After the install I decided to take a nice lake run.. The boat/prop all seemed to function great...really enjoyed the upgrade and so I decided to really open the boat up to WOT... after about 2 minutes of this (5000-5200 rpm) I noticed a massive "revving" of the motor as if the boat slammed into neutral...as I attempted to give more throttle...it continued to rev...eventually coming to a halt... The engine continued to run however I noticed the prop was no longer spinning...As I stopped I attempted to engage it into gear... I no longer had the "grinding" sound into gear as I moved the hand control..in forward or reverse...I was done... I eventually tracked down another boat who towed me to shore.

On to my house.

After reading some suggestions I put the boat in neutral in my driveway and the prop spins freely.. i put it in forward and it "ratches" as it should..in reverse..it does the same...I removed the prop today to check and see if it was spun..no damage..as good as new... I located a small amount of braided fishing line behind the thrust washer and removed that.
I then started the boat with muffs...attempted to put it in forward..the shaft doesnt spin...same with reverse...I turned the motor off..I then pulled the "vent plug" and noticed a small amount of fine metal with 1 small "chunk" the size of a small piece of kitty litter...the oil was now a milky grey/ slate grey and foul smelling. I then removed the lower drain in which a small amount of water dripped out and then was followed by the grey/slate grey gear oil. The plug looked similar tot he vent...1 small chunk with several powdery shavings.

I just removed the lower unit (per instructions) to have it inspected by a local marine shop however I wondered if there were any basic things I could do before that. Did this go into failsafe or shear a pin somehow from the fishing line or crappy oil? I have pretty good mechanical ability/understanding. Ive studied parts diagrams and such but was unsure if there are some common failure items...or possible causes...

Sorry for the length..I am new to all of this but hope I can salvage this dream before buying a new lower unit (which seems to be the case)

JDusza

Ensign
Re: Newbie needs help!! 1986 ProCraft with Mercury Black Max 150 XR2 wont go into ge

Welcome to the forum. Great advice here.
You caught me with the ratcheting in gear. When in gear, the prop should be trying to drive the crank so the ratcheting should only occur in one direction, i.e., in forward should ratchet if spun for reverse. Same for reverse, ratchets only if spun forward. If you can spin / ratchet the prop in both directions in gear, then you may have stripped the bevel gears in the lower unit.
Don't panic yet. Are you sure the unit is effectively engaging the shift shaft? Some one else can chime in, but I think the shifter on these engines turns the shift shaft to engage as opposed to Evinrudes which push / pull the shift shaft. Ensure the shift linkages are working properly.
You definitely have bad seals letting water in the lower unit; milky oil.
Keep us posted.
J

lightgroove

Recruit
Re: Newbie needs help!! 1986 ProCraft with Mercury Black Max 150 XR2 wont go into ge

Thanks J for the quick reply,

To clarify the ratcheting. When I put the boat in forward gear (boat off of course :) ) I can turn the propeller clockwise (its normal direction) and hear a ratchet type click. When I attempt to go counter clockwise it stops. Ill have to double check when in reverse but I remember the opposite happening where I could hear the ratchet counter clockwise but not clockwise. I did not try to force it in either direction. In neutral spins fine.

Not sure if this is relevant to anything. I noticed after pulling the lower unit the "drive shaft" had a little play in it. I could move it about 1/4" up and down. It is still seated inside the housing and does not appear to be broke.

Thanks again

carholme

Rear Admiral

Using finger pressure only when turning the prop:

Forward: Prop will ratchet CW, will not turn CCW
Neutral: Prop will spin freely in either direction
Reverse: Prop will not turn in either direction

If you have chunks of metal combined with shavings in the drained oil, you have a problem.

Gerry

lightgroove

Recruit

Well the culprit has been found. After letting this LU sit overnight I went back to it today. I continued to remove the remaining part of the water pump (base) and walla the driveshaft came right up with it.:grumpy: The shaft sheared off right below the water pump and just before the 1st roller bearing...I can look down the housing and all gears look great with minimal wear ...so now the delimma...find a used shaft and or just replace the LU?

Edit..after looking around Ive found 2 possible shafts available. Does anyone know if all shafts are interchangeable. Apparently mine is the older style that has a spring loaded pin stuck in the top as in enters the motor. It measures in around 32". I cant find a used one for under $400. On the other hand Ive found a newer style without the pin that measures the same length for $215 Will this work?

Old # (says obsolete) 45-98682A1
New # 45-897624

JDusza

Ensign

Spring's there for a reason.... Not a cost down.
Be careful.
J

carholme

Rear Admiral

New # 45-897624 is compatible with SN# 1B417702 & Up.

Gerry

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class

You may find that looking for a used L/U complete is more cost effective than trying to replace that drive shaft.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Lightgroove, The pin on the driveshaft is there because of the design of the gearcase. You will need to replace with another one that is exact. However, I recommend you look into a replacement gearcase. SEI makes brand new ones for a good price. In addiiton, a used gearcase can often be had for the cost of the driveshafts you were looking at.

If you want to repair yours, you would need to tear down the gearcase and make sure the rest of the gears, dogs, bushings and bearings were good. I for one would rather replace it, with a new SEI or good used unit.