25hp Mercury choke knob came out, motor won't start

wolfee

Seaman
We were on the water fishing (engine worked fine on the way out) and when we decided to head in, I pulled the chock knob out to choke it and the whole knob came out completely in my hand! The end of it had a grooved head that seemed like it would screw back onto/into something but I couldn't get the piece to go back in and the motor wouldn't start, didn't even seem to fire at all. I have a SELOC manual but frankly it doesn't show squat for installing/replacing this knob. Any help greatly appreciated!!

JDusza

Ensign
Re: 25hp Mercury choke knob came out, motor won't start

Tough to say without serial number, but, pulling the choke and having the knob come off means the choke butterfly is closed and the engine is flooding. That's why it's not starting. Too much choke..... If you can push the butterfly open, she'll start.
You may be able to see how the knob connects by removing the cover and putting the knob back in the hole.
There may be a cinch pin that fell out of position on a clevis type joint. Or, the clevis joint is held together with a small screw. Not sure without serial number for parts look-up.
J