1998 40hp Mercury Starter problem

gahunter706

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1998 Mercury 40hp that won't start. Starter is spinning, but not engaging on the flywheel. Tried 2 different batteries that were both fully charged and neither worked. Only work done on the motor was I changed the spark plugs and lower unit oil. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1998 40hp Mercury Starter problem

Could be corrosion in the battery cables and connections.

Try using jumper cables from a fresh battery direct to the starter. If the starter works, take all battery cables off, check them for soft or swollen spots, scrub all connectors shiny and reconnect.

carholme

Rear Admiral

I asked you whether or not you wanted the service manual in a previous post:

http://forums.iboats.com/mercury-mariner-outboards/1998-mercury-40hp-607786.html#post4235004

Offer still stands.

What is your engine s/n?

Here is a link to the starter:

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - Starter Motor - 30/40 (2 CYLINDER) 2-STROKE

Is item 4 rising to engage the flywheel when you hit start? If not, place a few drops of light oil on the slide and work it up and down a few times and then try it again.

Gerry

gahunter706

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Carholme - You have already sent me a copy of the service manual so I have that. Once it quits raining here I will try to oil that part and see if it starts.

gahunter706

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got the boat running. The gear on top of the starter wasn't lifting, so I sprayed it with some lube and worked it loose with a screwdriver. Once it came loose it started right up.

gahunter706

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have another question. These two wires were unplugged and I was wondering if they should be connected? One is dark brown w/ a white stripe, the other is tan. Motor runs fine with them not connected, and I haven't tried running the motor with them connected.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Brown with white stripe is for trim sender signal to gauge if installed.
Tan is for the temperature sender/warning system if installed.

Gerry