35 hp mercury reverse lock not working

ml2jw4life

Cadet
I have read tons of posts about this issue but mine seems a bit different. I have a 1985 mercury 35 Hp w manual tilt. There are two hooks that engage the tilt pin when in neutral and reverse and not in fwd. Mine does all of this but will not hold the lock. If you pull on the motor to the rear or in reverse on the water the hooks lull up just enough to come off the pin. You can also push on them when engagedand they will move about 1/2" or enighnot to hold. I dropped the lu and the cam is ok in the proper position. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

ml2jw4life

Cadet
Re: 35 hp mercury reverse lock not working

Gerry thanks for the advice. I tried it but if you tighten the nut a few turns it raises the hooks that they don't grab. I but it back and they hold but if you pull on it then the spring compresses and they come il just enough to come over the bar. The shaft does not move.

JDusza

Ensign

Check shift rod and yoke right aside the power head in the lower cover; just beneath where the shift rod connect to the shift lever. The shift rod may not be pulling the tilt lock yoke. Common problem coming off lower unit work.
Jim

p.s., what is the engine serial number? So we can look at the correct BOM....

ml2jw4life

Cadet

The issue I font think is with the shift rod. It shifts totally fine. The shift rod locks the hooks but if you pull on it the hooks move by compressjnvybespring on shift rod and come off trim rod. Ill haveto post ser no when I'm home.

ml2jw4life

Cadet

I am still having the issue and it seems that you can push up on the hooks when it is locked. The only part that moves is the spring on the shaft that comes up from the lower unit. The shaft does not move.