Mercury 0G160953 Not Starting

JDusza

Ensign
Hi, guys,
Long time...always good to be here.
I was called by a friend to help reassemble the gear shift control lever at the helm. Engine serial number 0G160953.
Whoever took it apart lost their way. I reassembled the unit. Gear shifting and throttle control are functional; verified.
Now, the boat will not even try to start. It behaves as if no voltage is getting to the starter solenoid. Turn the key and nothing.
I'm not an electrical guy, so I could use some advice on how to troubleshoot the key switch to starter, gear shift position switch inside the helm control and ignition kill inside the helm control.
I can do point-to-point voltage and resistance checks.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Jim

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury 0G160953 Not Starting

Jim;

What type of remote control box do you have?

Gerry

JDusza

Ensign

Hi, Gerry,
I don't know the type box. It's a single lever with trim on the thumb, and fast idle on a pull up lever, if that helps. Says Mercury. Else, I'll have to go back and take a look for an identifier.
Red neutral lock you pull up with your fingers to put in gear.
Inside the box is the key cylinder, the ignition kill toggle switch, another component that looks to be a sensor or position switch of some kind just below the ignition cylinder, cable terminations and the bunch of wiring connectors. Electric choke by pushing the key in. I think the engine is 1979.
I'll have to go back to look for an identifier. The only thing I remember seeing was the Mercury logo.
Thank you,
Jim

carholme

Rear Admiral

Jim;

In this link, scroll down to Commander 2000 and see if that is the one.

ACCESSORIES REMOTE CONTROLSVOLUME 2 - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

To try a quick test, making sure that no one is standing anywhere near the prop, engage the shifter into Forward and turn the key to the start position briefly just to see if it will crank. If it does, the neutral safety switch has shifted when you were working in the box. This switch allows the engine to start only while in Neutral and not Fwd. or Rev.

Barring that, you may have a fuse blown.

Gerry

JDusza

Ensign

Thank you, Gerry!
The Commander 200 looks like it!!! Thanks a million!!!!!
I'll go back to the boat and check.
Thank you!!!!
Jim

p.s., the tilt wires have been terminated. No tilt pump on the engine.

JDusza

Ensign

Nothing when tried in gear.
All fuses good.
Nuts!
J

carholme

Rear Admiral

Jim;

Do you have a manual for it as I could send you one so you have the wiring diagrams.

Gerry

JDusza

Ensign

Hi, Gerry,
I do not have a manual.
Wiring diagrams would be great. I am confident I can follow them with a meter and figure this out.
Thanks a million!!!!
Jim

JDusza

Ensign

Gerry,
YOU ARE THE MAN!
I'll shoot you a PM.Thank you.
J

JDusza

Ensign

Gerry,
I got it! I can't believe it. The 20 A fuse in series with the ignition (red wire) was blown. Two people looked at it and thought it was good. We took another look, checked continuity and *BAM*. Put in a new fuse and started it right up.
Thank you for your help. Never would have made it without you.
Cheers!
Have fun at this year's bike rally!
J