1989 mercury 115 outboard power trim motor

Bikerbd

Recruit
I am trying to take my trim motor off. The problem is it has two bolts in it and I can only get to one of them. The other is in the back where it can't be reached. Is there any way to get to it without taking the whole motor off the boat?

kandebeach

Recruit
Re: 1989 mercury 115 outboard power trim motor

I am trying to take my trim motor off. The problem is it has two bolts in it and I can only get to one of them. The other is in the back where it can't be reached. Is there any way to get to it without taking the whole motor off the boat?

hi there, you have to undo the port side transom bracket bolts that go through to the inside of the transom. then the three bolts holding the tilt to the bracket on the same side. (if needed its good to remove the other three bolts from the starboard side as well as this enables the trim assembly to be moved forward helping with better access to the bolts) unscrew the steering cable bolts off the threads and you can then move the bracket over an inch or two to gain access to the motor bolts. lock the motor tab up and support the leg as well.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 mercury 115 outboard power trim motor

And put a block under the tilt tube to hold some weight.