Mercury 50hp 2 stroke - told not to bring in for service until it overheats??

bigesox11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Please let me know what you think of the comments made by boat repair facility. I know someone that has a 50hp Mercury 2 stroke that is intermittently not peeing. I suggested having the water pump replaced as it has never been replaced and the boat and motor are about 5 years old. The repair facility said to run the motor until it overheats and then to bring it in for service. Why would you want the motor to overheat before repairing or replacing instead of replacing the water pump? Especially if there is significant damage caused by overheating. Thanks.

mrklean

Cadet
Re: Mercury 50hp 2 stroke - told not to bring in for service until it overheats??

Sounds like bollocks to me. Unless its under warranty work or something where they need to prove the problem of it not peeing... Bring it to a different shop and get it replaced.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercury 50hp 2 stroke - told not to bring in for service until it overheats??

I guess they don't want your money or have so much business, they don't need your money. Or if the motor overheats they can charge more money to fix it. In the mean time, why not do the impeller yourself and not give them any money. :)

bigesox11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. Is it common to need to continually unclog/unplog pee hole or is this a sign that the water pump needs replace? Does the water pump allow more debris the older and more worn that the impeller gets? Thanks again.

GA_Boater

Bugs love the small hole to nest in. Very common in a motor that isn't used often. Now it is possible the boat is used in water with a lot of trash that could get picked up and the tell-tell is the smallest part of the cooling system, so maybe.

bigesox11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply. Anybody else? I know it depends on what the water is like that you are running it in, but does anybody else have any thoughts on whether or not it is common or uncommon to need to constantly unclog pee hole? Does the age of the water pump make any difference on how ofter it may or may not get clogged? Thanks.

GA_Boater

I wouldn't say a worn water pump will cause a plugged tell-tell, but I will say a worn pump could be running with reduced pressure which would normally keep it clear.

On second thought, if the pump vanes are breaking off the rubber bits can clog all kinds of things.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

A worn water pump should not be clogging any more then a new one. Most engines have screens or something to restrict picking up trash. So if that were my engine, I'd change the impellor myself and boat on... Changing a water pump impellor is not difficult by any stretch. Once you do it yourself, you'll wonder why they charge so much... Buy a new impellor and change it one afternoon...it isn't a hard or long job.