Mercury 150 xr6 stuck in gear

JLanders

Recruit
1999 150 XR6 Stuck in forawrd gear. Control box, cables and cable connection to motor are ok. Control box moves the cable which moves the lever at the power head. Apparently this problem is in the lower unit. Lower unit is a SEI replacement with approx 200 hours.

I will confess how it happened. This boat is used to pull ski shows. At the end of the ski show I raised the motor and accellerated, throwing water in the air. The crowd seems to like it but I fear that I have done some significant damage.

Anyone out there have a similar experience?

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury 150 xr6 stuck in gear

Have you removed the LU to see if it is shifting correctly? If not, when you move the shifter is item 46 in this link moving as well? That is the long shift rod which connects to the splined shift rod in the LU.

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - THROTTLE LEVER AND SHIFT SHAFT - 135/150/175/200 XR6/MAGNUM III 140 JET

If it is turning but not shifting gears in the LU, then you will have to remove the LU.

What is your engine s/n and if you do not have a manual for it, I can send you one if you PM me with an email address.

Gerry