Mercury Classic 50 45 HP Won't hold low rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackRizzo

Recruit
I recently acquired a 1988 classic 50 45HP motor. It had been sitting for 20 years and as expected the carburetors were full of sludge. I removed both carbs, and thoroughly cleaned them. I placed new gaskets and needle valves and put them back on.

Now, I can't get the motor to run at anything under about 2,500 rpm. It simply quits on me. So I rebuilt the fuel pump, and that didn't change anything. I've got about 150 compression across all four cylinders, and it runs fine at the higher rpm. I'm about at my whits end here. Anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

JackRizzo

Recruit
Re: Mercury Classic 50 45 HP Won't hold low rpm.

I guess it is possible. I mean I really cleaned them well. But, I'm at a loss for anything else to try. I'll pull them and clean them again.

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

You checked your throttle linkages ?
Advancing too much ?

JackRizzo

Recruit

Yes, I've played with the linkage from one end to the other. It still wants to die out at lower rpm. Sometimes it gets better, but never does it come close to idling.

Did you ever get a resolution to this I am having a similar issue? With the exact same back story, boat sat for 12years.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Did you ever get a resolution to this I am having a similar issue? With the exact same back story, boat sat for 12years.

Start a new thread. The OP left the forum after these posts more than 4 years ago. Don't expect an answer.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.