Boating Newb Need help! May of blown my oldschool 68 Mercury 1000 Tower of Power?

mytrainerjras

Recruit
316053_4952517932893_871649073_n.jpgBMlJKNCCQAEmNfz.jpg

Okay so I have never had a boat and I really don't know anything about them but I LOVE boats, so I bought a project.. That's what you gotta do when your on a budget right? Well project went pretty great fixed up a crappy old boat and it looks real nice now, even had it out running good on the lake one day.

Anyway it's a 69 Mercury 1000 Tower of Power I guess they call it. I bought it from a guy who said it was totally rebuilt. Took it out the first time. Started it up and it ran fine.. We even got on it a little and it was planing, the boat and throwing up a big wake. Took it out the next day and this is when things started going bad. First off I accidentally left my earmuffs on after flushing the motor.. Black earmuffs black motor bad news. Noticed that the boat wasn't running as strong and reach back there, took the muffs off. Didn't seem to be over heating or anything but this is an old boat and no gauges are hooked up so not sure. I continued around the lake for about 30-40 minutes and the motor just died.. tried about 30 times to start it, the motor was pouring out gas.. used like 10 gallons within an hour. So I put some more fuel in, didn't want to start but eventually it did start for about 1-2 minutes and was going then it died again. took it home and started messing with stuff. basically all of the fuel lines and associated bolts where loose so I tightened them all. thought I had the problem solved so I got some starter fluid this time and I put it in the water today.. but it still won't start. I adjusted all of the 3 carb screws about 1 million different trying to start the thing. It's cranking, it wants to start, it turns over and almost starts then sputters and dies.

I've been reading forums for like 6 hours now the girlfriend is yelling at me! lol

as I read more I realized I have a 2 stroke motor and I didn't add any oil to the gas.. Did I blow the thing? When I crank it it almost starts like I said but won't run. If I add oil to the gas and pray could it still be alright? I had an old motorcycle once and the piston seized up.. this motor definitely doesn't have a seized piston.. do the pistons always seize if you mess it up due to lack of oil?

I don't think it over heated or burnt up the water pump. I haven't yet checked all the spark plugs but I will in the AM. I am thinking it will need a link and sync now for sure as I F'd up all the carb screws. after I tightened all the fuel line clamps and bolts there are no leaks and the motor seems tight. Help!! =)

Last edited:

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boating Newb Need help! May of blown my oldschool 68 Mercury 1000 Tower of Power?

u need to take out plugs and soak some mystery oil in there rotating flywheel by hand and then do a compression test and pray to hell for the best !!!Also u may have burnt out impellar after u do test and is ok if u start it and get no water out of the weep hole ur gnna need to pull lower unit and change impellar ....

Last edited:
Re: Boating Newb Need help! May of blown my oldschool 68 Mercury 1000 Tower of Power?

Look up the initial specs for the carb adjustments. On my Merc 50 hp, the idle screws are 1 1/2 turns out from bottom (it will still need fine adjustment once it is running but the initial setting should get it started). Check the cylinder compressions to see if the motor is still making compression to determine if the motor is even worth the time.

Also, 10 gallons per hour is about right for a 100 hp outboard under hard use. You can generally estimate fuel usage by taking 10% of the horsepower rating (example: 100 hp x 10% = 10 gallons per hour at wide open throttle). Just make sure there aren't any fuel leaks coming from the carbs or fuel lines.

If you can get it running again, I would only run it for a few seconds and then replace the water pump impeller. Also, I would double the 2 cycle oil for the first tank or two, then go to normal oil mix spec.

Also, never use starting fluid on the 2 cycle. Starting fluid is hard on any engine but it is even worse in 2 cycles. It washes away any form of oil film protection. You can use oil/gas mix in a spray bottle as an alternative, or even use WD40 (not the best but its still better than starting fluid).

Finally (and this is the bad news you were hoping not to hear), I don't see how a 2 cycle engine could not be damaged by running 10+ gallons through it without any oil mixed in the gas. You may get it running again but there will surely be extra wear. On the positive side, the motor still cranks over which means it isn't seized so you may have a chance at getting it running again. The motor just won't ever be 100% again.

Edited to Add: Quite trying to start it without any oil mixed in the gas. It is the equivalent of draining the oil out of your car engine and running it without oil. 2 cycle engines NEEDS oil mixed in the gas. It isn't optional. The oil mixed in the fuel is the only lubrication 2 cycle engines get.

mytrainerjras

Recruit

Thanks everyone, I'm heading to the hardware store now.:facepalm:

mytrainerjras

Recruit

Hey just want to update everyone that she is up and running like a champ! Had her over to work and back plus all around a couple islands yesterday.

I used Lucas 2 stroke oil

Sprayed some gas and oil mix in the carb for starter.

Cleaned up the spark plugs with a steel brush.

Feel tuned the carb screws.

And here you have it.

image.jpg

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You may have missed the bullet. Is the Lucas 2 stoke oil rated as TW-C3 for marine use? Lucas may be for air cooled motors.

turtles11756

Petty Officer 1st Class

now go to the library, ebay, anywhere and get a mercury outboard service manual and start reading at page one. keep reading till your girl friend starts yelling again !

bgc

Ensign

To summarize:
She ran for "30-40 minutes" with no oil.
Had muffs in place during sea trials, possibly overheating.

I would get a compression testing gauge, Harbor Freight sells a cheep one. Use the gauge to get a baseline measurement of the motor. This will tell you whats going on inside the engine (very important). Post what you find. Compression Test Kit

The Lucas Land and Sea 2-Cycle, red bottle, is TW-C3 rated (water cooled). The standard Lucas 2-Cycle, blue bottle, in not(air cooled only) There is a big difference between the two and parts for that old gal are getting hard to find.

For parts, You can find a limited amount on iboats.com
I get most of my parts here,
Mercury Marine 1000 Outboard Motor Parts by Component
Another good source,
MERC 1000 - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup
Or,
Merc 1000

Her face plate is earlier than the year indicated, whats her serial number?

Free manuals here,
Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years!

bgc

Ensign

Serial Number is 8361852 or 31303 says Kiekhaefer right on the block.. What year is it? From what I can find on this site MERCURY OUTBOARD MODEL YEAR GUIDE 60 HP - 100 HP -- Mastertech Marine it's a 69...

8361852 is the part number for an inline 6, 100 hp, early model, cylinder block.
(part #7) Mercury Marine 1000 CYLINDER BLOCK AND CRANKCASE ASSEMBLY Parts.
Your old gal is a 62 or 63, is the serial number plate missing from the clamp? Did she come with a title?

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

That number is just the block part number. It was used much later than the early 60's. Could be a 1969. Without the actual serial number its hard to tell. He needs to look for a stamped in number and not the raised part or casting number.

bgc

Ensign

That number is just the block part number. It was used much later than the early 60's. Could be a 1969. Without the actual serial number its hard to tell. He needs to look for a stamped in number and not the raised part or casting number.

Dyna Float covers in video
8362486 is the later block number

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer

Does that not have a tell-tale? I didn't see one in the video. I thought all the older mercs had one.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Some do, some don't. I added one to mine.