Mercury 90 HP 2 stroke Outboard on 2008 Triton

barrette56

Recruit
Have 2008 Triton fishing boat with 90 HP Mercury Motor 2 stroke that was bought used in April 2012. Ran great with no problems last year. Start of season this year, was spitting and choaking, brought in for service and coil was replaced. I'm not a mechanic so didn't want to play around with it. Boat ran, then more problems with choaking, replaced spark plugs, ran great. The next day after spark plugs replaced didn't start, brought in for service again, now the computer went. THis was in April 2013. Now $3700 in the hole, but has been running great, no hesitation, choaking, spitting nothing. Yesterday on the water, started no problem each time it was shut off as the trolling motor was being used, but then went to it again and nothing. Everything was fine, no hesitation or sputtering.. nothing. The beep that normally sounds before it starts, didn't. New battery as well, forgot to say that. Don't want to start pulling things apart, as I said before not a mechanic, but can't really afford to take it back to have it looked at for $100 an hour. Are there fuses or maybe ignition switch? Please any solutions or ideas, this boat is breaking my pocket.... thanks

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury 90 HP 2 stroke Outboard on 2008 Triton

Is it a Optimax or a Carbed Two-stroke?

First thing I would check are the battery cable connections on the battery. Mine did this once, and I turned the key and nothing no click, natta. I thought my battery might have been dead, pulled open the battery box inspected the cables and they had quite a bit of corrosion on them. Hit the cable ends with a wire brush and in 30 minutes we were back on the the water.