Where can I buy Mercury Reed valves for 1986 4 cly 75 hp?

inumbskul

Cadet
I think the part number is 65312B45. I cant find them anywhere. Where do I need to look now?

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Where can I buy Mercury Reed valves for 1986 4 cly 75 hp?

What is your engine s/n?

Gerry

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Are they broken? Stock reeds almost never break.

inumbskul

Cadet

Are they broken? Stock reeds almost never break.

The guy at the dealer, who went through the motor and kitted the carbs and serviced it after it had sat for a few years, said they were "bad" and would cost $1000 to fix. The compression is 150-160 on all 4 cylinders and the motor LOOKS pristine. You Tube makes the job of changing the reeds seem do-able and not worth $1000.

inumbskul

Cadet

What is your engine s/n?

Gerry
SN: A953921....that is not like any sn I have seen anywhere for a Mercury motor but I have a picture of the sticker to prove that is all is has in the sn box

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Why do you think reeds bad?? From your old post it looks as it it runs fine. The engine will need to be disassembled to replace reeds and its about a 8 on a 1-10 list. If it runs fine as you stated leave it alone........
I have an '86 Mercury 75 hp outboard that I bought last Fall. I had the carbs cleaned as the boat had sat for 2-3 years without being started. I hooked it up to muffs and the engine starts right up and runs smooth as silk. I ran it for 30 minutes at different speeds and had on problems at all

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Its a lot harder than you think it is. Its an old design that seemed to be designed to be difficult to change the reeds. The whole motor needs to come apart. Having said that its extremely unlikely that they are bad. Reeds almost never go bad. $1000 from a shop would be a bargain for that job if they actually were bad which they are probably not. Unlikely it will make any difference changing them. Find a mechanic who knows inline mercs. They aren't like modern motors and you need someone who really knows them. Dealerships don't train people to work on that stuff any more and your mechanic might just be leading you down the road to changing parts willy nilly at your expense. It happens all the time.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - ( 75 H.P. (1986 ))
Serial No: 0A953921 Model No: 1075726

Parts Lisitng for model 1075726:

75 H.P. - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

See the stock reeds, items 6/10 and 11 under CRANKSHAFT, PISTON AND CONNECTING ROD

The p/n you have asked about in your first post are Boyesen as seen here:

Boyesen Reed Kit 75-85hp - 65312B45 - Offshore Marine Parts - Quality Aftermarket and OEM Boat Engine Parts and Accessories

Gerry

Laddies

Banned

Boyesen reeds don't really work all that well in inline Mercurys

inumbskul

Cadet

Why do you think reeds bad?? From your old post it looks as it it runs fine. The engine will need to be disassembled to replace reeds and its about a 8 on a 1-10 list. If it runs fine as you stated leave it alone........

All I know is what the guy at the dealership told me. This is a reputable place and I have known the man casually for several years. The motor fires right up and does run fine in my driveway. The dealer said the motor was not dependable if the reeds are bad so I have been scared to get it in the river. When I took it to the dealer it was to have the carbs checked....I would pump the bulb and it would never feel firm and gas would run out of the engine. He kitted the carbs and fuel pump, ran new fuel lines outside and in, new plugs, filters and lower unit oil. He called me and said it wasnt running right and never would because the reeds were bad. So you think I should just put it in the water and use it as is?

inumbskul

Cadet

Your s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - ( 75 H.P. (1986 ))
Serial No: 0A953921 Model No: 1075726

Parts Lisitng for model 1075726:

75 H.P. - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

See the stock reeds, items 6/10 and 11 under CRANKSHAFT, PISTON AND CONNECTING ROD

The p/n you have asked about in your first post are Boyesen as seen here:

Boyesen Reed Kit 75-85hp - 65312B45 - Offshore Marine Parts - Quality Aftermarket and OEM Boat Engine Parts and Accessories

Gerry

Thank you so very much for the information and link to the diagram. I can see from the picture why changing the reeds would not be anything like the job shown on You Tube.

inumbskul

Cadet

Its a lot harder than you think it is. Its an old design that seemed to be designed to be difficult to change the reeds. The whole motor needs to come apart. Having said that its extremely unlikely that they are bad. Reeds almost never go bad. $1000 from a shop would be a bargain for that job if they actually were bad which they are probably not. Unlikely it will make any difference changing them. Find a mechanic who knows inline mercs. They aren't like modern motors and you need someone who really knows them. Dealerships don't train people to work on that stuff any more and your mechanic might just be leading you down the road to changing parts willy nilly at your expense. It happens all the time.

Is there anything that could be mistaken for bad reeds? I dont think this dealer is purposely lying to me....he seemed pretty sure that after he had done all the work, the reeds were bad. Dont know if it makes a difference but the compression is 150-160 on all 4 cylinders.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Carbs, especially the off idle transition to full throttle. Lots of timing adjustments in the linkage that need to be correct. Ignition timing, fuel pressure, float levels. The labyrinth reed blocks themselves. Real hokey way those reeds are installed straddling the crank. Reeds themselves are pretty durable and dont do much over about mid throttle.

1st off, why do you think theres a problem? Your compression is better than good. is it bogging off idle?

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

If he didnt take it to the lake and try to adjust max advance timing, idle adjustments , and or max throttle then id ask him to try it unless they have a test tank in the shop with test props ??? I jsut went through this on my 65 650 merc and turns out may have just been fuel tank vent closed up on me , it will cause primer bulb to go flat ... I also did fuel pump etc...if hes done all that i would think hed know that timing link n sync is very important on these motors and there all different ...Just a thought ??

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

as far as reeds if u want them try oldmercs.com ???

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If your reeds was bad it wouldnt idle worth a crap......