Anaerobic Gasket Sealer w/ Block Cover Gasket

gatorfan6908

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Morning All,
Quick question about anaerobic gasket sealer... When removing the block cover on my 1982 L6 90HP Mercury OB, I broke off a few head bolts. This thing hasn't been taken off since factory, so you can understand how difficult it was to get them all out. I got all but two of them out... and so far one on the top left has an easy-out broken off in it and I cannot remove it nor drill it out for a helicoil. The other bolt is on the bottom right of the block and is extremely difficult to get to with the bottom cowl in place. Anyways... No shop around here wants to drill them out and I don't want to damage the block and NEVER get a good seal on it.
SO after talking w/the local shop guy, he suggested the anaerobic gasket sealer and said I may be able to get through with not having those two bolts. If you take a look here, you can see exactly what I am talking about. Best I can tell, it SHOULD work, but I'm no expert and wanted to get some advice. The only other option (that I don't think I could follow through with) is to drill new holes and thread them. Give me whatever advice you can... as this is the only thing holding me up from finishing this boat resto (FULL STORY IN SIGNATURE)...

gatorfan6908

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Anaerobic Gasket Sealer w/ Block Cover Gasket

OH YEA!!! in the second photo, A1 is the closest bolt to the one that is broken off. I'm wondering if that is close enough in proximity to give a legitimate seal....

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer

They wont drill it out or won't drill it out without removing the power head. I had to remove the power head on mine to get them to drill them out.

gatorfan6908

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No one has any insight about this? (Mercurymang, Thanks for the input, I'm just asking specifics on the anaerobic gasket sealer though)

Laddies

Banned

There are no short cuts or magical sealer to fix your problem that's why so few answers, just take the time and do it right the first time. Heat properly applied would have helped or even a good penetrant would have helped.

gatorfan6908

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FYI... Motor is back on the transom and I've had her running a few days now... Carb rebuild, link and sync, etc... The gasket sealer has held up great and I have absolutely zero leaks from the block cover. Haven't had a chance to test her WOT, but when that happens, I'll be sure to post my results then.