1971 Mercury 650 65HP 4 Cyl Questions

So got a 200 dollar boat. When I bought it, spun over and the whole nine yards so i thought what the hell.

So I got it in a water test, and the thing starts right up. First thing I notice is that there is no water coming out of the pee hole. Now normally, this is bad; after running the motor for 5 or so minutes, the block was still able to be touched. My dad used to own one and he said it wasn't a big deal as long as the motor stayed cool.

When I actually got it on the lake. I'd didnt have a ton of power. I have to do some fiddling with the throttle to get it even close to a plane. At one point I had the black lever pulled all the way up, and the throttle all the way forward, and that's when I get the most speed. I did notice before we started then when I pumped the bulb, a bit of gas leaked out of the clamp where the line enters the inside of the motor (from the tank).

Based on all this, a couple questions:

1. If the motor stays cool, do I worry about the pee hole situation? If it is a concern, how do I fix it?

2. As far as the power situation goes, I have to push the throttle like half way forward before there is any power. Might I have some issues with my control box? Mal adjusted? Throttle cable issue?

3. Where can I get a new fuel line?

Thanks for any help!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1971 Mercury 650 65HP 4 Cyl Questions

1 - Yes. Replace the impeller and drain/fill the lower unit oil and make sure a bug hasn't clogged the tell-tell with mud.

2 - When pushing the shift/throttle forward the first action is shifting from neutral to forward, as you advance rpms should increase. So it's normal. Raising the black warm-up lever can throw off the shifting/throttle ratio for lack of a better word. Keep the warm-up down unless using fast idle for warming up the motor.

3. - Built-in tank or portables? Try "Boat Parts & Accessories" at the top of the page.

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

It shouldnt but u definatley want water coming out of the peep hole ... I have a 65 650 and same things is happeningIt ran fine the first year after i did impellar.. so far I have cchanged impellar,fuel pumps, rebuilt carbs , cleaned points when I did the carbs , changed throttle cable , whatever yu do dont mess with the set screw idle stop throttle or max advance unless ur gonna do a whole link and sink .. U need to make sure also your gas tank is vented properly loss of air flow will cause this ..I just did fuel pumps n throtle cable this week hopefully it takes off this weekend if the rain lets me get it out for a test run ...My throttle does the same thing but it used to get on plane and run so idk I just replaced cable as it was shot...you may need to change your fittings,and primer bulb sounds like air is getting in somewhere you just havee to figure out where ...you can take off the fuel pump on the side by starter carfully n inspect the rubber diapghram in it is it ripped ?? wrinkley streched out ??? if so rebuild it ...GOOD LUCK KEEP US POSTED AS I AM INTERESTED TO SEE IF U GET IT GOING ... ohhh a compression test would be good to to tell u what shape the inside is in ???

Here's the plan right now:

1. impeller kit
2. Fuel Pump Kit
3. Throttle Cable
4. New plugs
5. Fuel Line

The pump and impeller kits seems easy to find, its this fuel line I am having a helluva time with. Its the one that comes from the tank plugin (back of the motor) to the first plug. On one end is a copperish clamp that I know leaks.

It shouldnt but u definatley want water coming out of the peep hole ... I have a 65 650 and same things is happeningIt ran fine the first year after i did impellar.. so far I have cchanged impellar,fuel pumps, rebuilt carbs , cleaned points when I did the carbs , changed throttle cable , whatever yu do dont mess with the set screw idle stop throttle or max advance unless ur gonna do a whole link and sink .. U need to make sure also your gas tank is vented properly loss of air flow will cause this ..I just did fuel pumps n throtle cable this week hopefully it takes off this weekend if the rain lets me get it out for a test run ...My throttle does the same thing but it used to get on plane and run so idk I just replaced cable as it was shot...you may need to change your fittings,and primer bulb sounds like air is getting in somewhere you just havee to figure out where ...you can take off the fuel pump on the side by starter carfully n inspect the rubber diapghram in it is it ripped ?? wrinkley streched out ??? if so rebuild it ...GOOD LUCK KEEP US POSTED AS I AM INTERESTED TO SEE IF U GET IT GOING ... ohhh a compression test would be good to to tell u what shape the inside is in ???

ok I will give it a go....

If anyone else has fuel line info that would be awesome also!

DG

The weedwacker line trick worked great! The line was clogged with mud :) Too bad I bought an impeller :) Thats ok though. Would the leaky fuel line at the start of the engine cause that type of power loss? Like fuel starvation?

DG

Mi duckdown

Commander

You still need to change the impellar. since you do not know when it was changed. any fuel leak needs to be fixed. ALSO check and refill the lower end lube with new washers.

Sweet will do.

Hey got a question. Anyone have a good way to take out that fuel line that goes to the pump? Seems like youd have to get some other stuff outta the way first...

DG

Well got it figured out. Two bolt underneath. Pulled the whole thing out. Was able to get a new barbed copper end that fit PERFECT and spend 5 bucks replacing the whole works at the hardware store. No more leaks. Wiring is all set, hoping to take the boat out to the local resevoir one mroe tim to make sure everything is good to go..then we will go to the big lake!

DG

sorry havent been able to update because all it has done is rain rain rain.

Maybe tomorrow!!

merc850

Commander

What about the gear lube? Have you changed it, I wouldn't rely on the PO's information you want to check for water yourself.

Yep I drained and refilled. It did seem as though there was a bit of water in it...thats ok right?

DG

bgc

Ensign

Did you replace the impeller? My old Mercs get a new impeller every other year. Cheap insurance really.....

oldmercs.com or marineengine.com for fuel lines, Coat Guard checks this stuff where I live.....

No water is not normal in the lower and is bad. Change seals or hire someone to do it as it requires special tools.....

GA_Boater

Yep I drained and refilled. It did seem as though there was a bit of water in it...thats ok right?

DG

No, it isn't OK. Water is not a good lubricant for the gears, seal and bearings.

refilled lower unit lube, installed new gas lines. Boat runs much much much better...possible the air leak in the fuel line caused the boat to not run as well?

GA_Boater

After you run for a few times, drain the lower unit lube and check for water. If you find some, it's time to reseal the lower.

Is that something one can do in the garage? Where can I get seals?

DG