What is the purpose of the poppet valve?

starkyb

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 75 horse Mariner shoots out water where the poppet valve is. The diafragm is torn so I put a screw in the hole to stop the water. What does the poppet valve do any way?

starkyb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What is the purpose of the poppet valve?

Thanks for the post. When I inspected mine I noticed that the diaphragm was torn and the under the hole that the poppet goes into it looks like a piece was broken off where you can see into the block. Is that supposed to be there? I would imagine that is where the water is coming from.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Starky, Sounds like you need to rebuild the poppit valve. The weep hole is for when the poppit fails, not when it is working properly.

starkyb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am going to get a new diaphragm but the part I am wondering about is behind the diaphragm there is a portion of the housing right under the small hole that the poppet goes into that looks like it is missing. It's not a symmetrical hole that's what makes me think its not supposed to be there. I can patch it with marine tex if need be, I just want to be sure I should.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You might look on the parts list. Poppit valves vary somewhat in design. They sometimes have a removeable plate under the cover. There is usally a plastic fitting stuck in the block, a spring, a diaghram and some gaskets.