Need Help...Mercury 50 HP (1978) Outboard Wont Start Now

hotrodSD

Recruit
Need Help...Mercury 50 HP (1978) Outboard Wont Start.
I bought a 78 Glastron recently and the outboard started right away after we replaced the internal wire harness. I ran it for about 3 mins and the shut it down when I noticed the water wasnt coming out of the pee hole. We replaced the impeller and put the lower unit on. We also rebuilt both carburetors. Now the engine doesnt want to start...Ive tried 3 times now. I verified it has spark to each cylinder. Did I mess up the timing somehow by pulling the lower unit off to replace the impeller? Does anyone have any suggestions or see this before?

Mike

Laddies

Banned
Re: Need Help...Mercury 50 HP (1978) Outboard Wont Start Now

No, you probably messed the carb cleaning up

hotrodSD

Recruit

Keep in mind there are 2 carbs. And truthfully I dont think this is it because it wouldnt start before I rebuilt both carbs. Its acting likt the timing is off (althought it turns over strong) oor something died on the ignition before I rebuilt the carbs.

Any ideas or suggestions anyone?

satanclause

Seaman Apprentice

The low speed screws should be turned out 1 and 3/4 i bellive. Usually people set them to tight.

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If spark is good, have you checked compression???.if its good,try spraying little gas/oil mixture inside the carbs.see what happens.your fuel pick up lines might be clogged.hows the priming bulb when you pump it.hard???