2001 Mercury Offshore Classic with Weak Spark???

alvan124

Recruit
I have a Mercury 2001 200hp Saltwater Series, Classic Outboard on my Aquasport 205 Osprey. It has worked flawlessly, until.... a month ago, I went out to go fishing, it was too rough to fish, and I got a lot of water on my helm, and every time I touched the metal on the throttle assembly, it shocked the crap out of me. Thought nothing of it, took it apart when I got home, no exposed wires, lubed it, and ready to go in 2 weeks.
The next time I went out, it was over charging when at mid to high throttle, and I brought it to an idle, and turned my pumps on to bring it down and it did that a couple of times, before it didn't happen the rest of the day.
Because of that, I took all of my connections apart and put petroleum jelly on all of the connections, and notices that one of my fuses (Left one of three on the starboard side) was blown, I replaced it and ready to go again, two weeks later.
This time, it was hard to start (Which never happens) and I needed to move it to full throttle to get it to fire up, then under throttle, it kept over charging, throttle down, turn pumps on, stabilize the volts, and try again, but it didn't work, took the cowl off and pulled the fuse that was blown, and it didn't do it again.
During that trip, my Lowrance LSS-1 was blown, voltage regulator, blown, and my Optima batteries would not turn my engine over enough to engage the starter.
Got home, ordered a new voltage regulator (Which the old one tested bad and was partially melted) and an enriching valve ( the old one purged brown fuel). And I ordered new Optima batteries since I thought the other ones were bad. (I thought).
So now, I replaced the batteries and it still did not engage. Redid all of the connections to the batteries, and the starter worked. But, the engine did not fire. I was afraid of bad gas, pulled all of the carbs, and they looked pristine, and the jets were not clogged or dirty, at all. The fuel pump is in great working order, the separator is working fine, and the filter is not dirty. So knocked out fuel, It is getting Air, and all of the cylinders have good compression. So the only thing left is spark. I pulled the plugs, and checked the spark, and they have spark, but very faint. I checked the kill switch and it is working correctly.
Should I invest in a Stator, Trigger Assembly, coils?
Everything tested out ok, but there was no conventional test for the Control Module. Replaced it, and still nothing. I am going to get an ignition switch and new cut off switch and try that. I just don't know. I don't know if this is related, but when I turn the switch to turn over the motor, sometimes it is a little slow, then gets faster. Also the Tach slowly rises to 4k, then back, and while cranking the ignition buzzer beeps (As if you turn the key to the on position), and stops cranking, then I have to turn the key off, then try cranking again. Today I tried cranking it while pushing the cutoff switch in and out, and the motor did turn over, then I couldn't get it to do it again.
Close to giving up and taking it to a mechanic...Or take off and replace all of the grounding straps, and replace them? Could it be a ground, the Control Module, or what??? I am just throwing money at this thing and I am starting to pull my hair out! Any help is appreciated.
Al

alvan124

Recruit
Re: 2001 Mercury Offshore Classic with Weak Spark???

It was a combination of the voltage regulator and the ignition switch.