1998 Mercury 40hp

gahunter706

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just purchased my first boat, a 1996 G3 with a 1998 Mercury 40hp. Previous owner said he hasn't used the boat in about 4 years, but he has lent it to friends a few times in those 4 years. Motor runs fine and starts easily, but I was wondering what maintenance I need to do. I was thinking change the spark plugs and foot oil, anything else I should do? I looked at the motor and it has NGK spark plugs, are those stock from Mercury or have they been changed? What brand plugs do yall recommend? Also, if somebody has a link to an online service manual with all the part #s and oils to use in this motor that would be great. Thanks!

vance14

Cadet
Re: 1998 Mercury 40hp

NGKs came with my 2001 3cyl 40hp merc and I find its best to use what came with the motor.For sure change the lower end oil and I would recommend getting the water pump and lower end seals done as well.If you use a good quality oil, plugs will last a long time.mine with the boat in the water from May till Oct. they last 4 to 5 years.

vance

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1998 Mercury 40hp

What is your engine s/n? I should have the service manual and can send it to you if you PM me with an email address.

Gerry