2002 Mercury 40hp 2-Stroke Won't start - Strange Circumstance

paradisetech

Recruit
2002 Mercury 2-Stoke 40hp
Serial # 0T519664
2002 40ELPTO

So we were out all day buzzing around the backwater on our "New to Us" boat. This is the third time we have been out on the boat, and we have not had any issues. The motor seems to run rough in low RPM's and vibrate a little, but once you open it up to WOT it runs like a top. The vibration I thought was related to the slightly bent blade on the worn prop (which I am replacing as soon as the new prop arrives).

So back to the story and strange circumstance. We come back from a day on the water, tie the boat off to the dock to go grab the trailer, and when we try to start it up to load it up, the motor won't start. I winched it up and took it home, thinking perhaps my kids were messing with the ball pump and flooded it. That was 24 hours ago and still it will not start. Like I said, it ran just fine until we got back to the dock.

Just to be clear, the engine turns over but will not start.

Things I have tried:
Check the kill switch
Verified 12.66v coming from the battery
Performed a check on the CDM's all resistance readings are within specs including wires
Checked the spark on both cylinders, good blue arc across a 10mm gap.
Swapped the plugs and checked the gap. (the plugs were oily)
Verified that there was fuel getting through to the motor. (But only to the motor) I have yet to go any deeper.

My guess is that there is a blockage somewhere in the fuel system.

What should be the next steps?

And isn't this a strange occurrence?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

vance14

Cadet
Re: 2002 Mercury 40hp 2-Stroke Won't start - Strange Circumstance

I have 2001 of the same motor and my guess you flooded it by either you or someone else pushing the key in and engaging the fuel enrichment solenoid(yes I have done it )and flooded it.The cure is to at the controller disengage the gear selector and open the throttle wide open and crank it over. It will stutter in to life but be ready to quickly throttle back.

vance

paradisetech

Recruit
Re: 2002 Mercury 40hp 2-Stroke Won't start - Strange Circumstance

Another success story!

Wow, I feel pretty silly not figuring this out. :facepalm: I guess I was concentrating on the electrical stuff. Pretty simple fix here!

Vance14, I owe you a beer or a trip out on the backwater in SWFL if you ever travel down this way.

The motor was flooded:
  • I pulled the plugs
  • dried them off with a paper towel
  • disconnected the fuel line
  • pulled up on the fast idle bar on the controller
  • then hit the kill switch.
  • Turned it over for 8 seconds
  • put the plugs back in
  • put the kill switch back in operation mode
  • turned over the motor. BOOM! Starts right up. Done.

Reconnected the fuel line, put the muffs on and ran her for 5 minutes. Never skipped a beat.

Thanks so very much for making my Whaler whole again!