'75 mercury 200 20 hp flywheel question

Quacker152

Recruit
I have had this motor many years with no problems. Cranked fine after setting up a year. Son carries it fishing and it wont hit a lick!
After a while float fishing it starts and runs fine.
He checks it for the next trip a week later, wont fire, then starts. At the lake
it wont hit a lick again. remember this motor has never failed to start.

I check it with spark tester next day at home. no fire. Reading on here I learned to ck the sator and trigger. The sator showed 600 to 800 by different meters. The trigger had no connection between the brown and white wires. While i was checking the trigger i cliped my meter wires on. I noticed when i moved the wires close to the trigger I got around 1250 connection. This led me to think the wires going into the trigger were bad.
I had big problem removing the flywheel even with a harmonic puller. I pryed the filler open on the trigger and cked the wires which were good. So now i am not sure if it is bad, but i will put a new one on anyway.
Now my hard questions, sorry to be so long!

1-Can a trigger be good but not reading the flywheel, when i pushed up on the trigger is when i got a meter reading??

2- when i was cleaning the flywheel i wrapped a rag around the ring/grove that runs inside the trigger and it rotated on the flywheel,
I cant believe this is correct. The trigger tells the box when to fire each plug in relation to the woodruff key, as i understand it. So did i damage the flywheel removing it or did the ring come loose and cause the on firing problem?? I think i need another fly wheel.

Again sorry for being longwinded,Thanks for ant help.

Quacker152

Recruit
Re: '75 mercury 200 20 hp flywheel question

Follow up, a used flywheel and trigger solved the problem, runs better than before!!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: '75 mercury 200 20 hp flywheel question

So, was the magnet on the hub loose, or was the flex plate broken? The flex plate is the part that bolts to both the hub and the outer ring.