1989 Mariner 90HP 3Cyl Need to know wiring harness Help Starting?

I have just bought a boat with a nice looking 89 Mariner 90HP 3Cyl outboard that takes an 8 pin wire harness to the control box. My problem is that when i bought the boat the main harness had been cut at the control box so there was no cable that leads to the motor but i do see the empty connector that takes 8 pin on the side of the motor. I bought new plugs and fresh gas etc... Also bought new battery and cables which are installed now and i can jump the relay so the starter spins the motor. Here is where my issue comes in.. I need to know is which wires can i connect to + or - to make the motor run by itself without the control box. I know the control box has a neutral safety and also a kill switch. There are a number of wires coming from the harness (red, black, yellow/red, yellow/black, purple, brown/black). Please someone let me know what i can jumper so the plugs get spark. The good thing is the tilt/trim works i found those wires and the compression is good on all 3. Just want to see her fire up before i go dumping more money in this thing. I have already spent over $300 in parts and shes not running yet. Any help from an expert would be great! Thanks for reading.

Adrian

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: 1989 Mariner 90HP 3Cyl Need to know wiring harness Help Starting?

deleted

carholme

Rear Admiral

If you send me your s/n via PM, I think i have the service manual which I can send you.

Gerry

This is very helpful so now that we have the wiring colors for each on the harness I still need to make it run without a gearbox. Do I simply apply 12v jumper to purple wire? Do I need to ground any safety kill switches etc???

If you send me your s/n via PM, I think i have the service manual which I can send you.

Gerry

Thanks Gerry,
I already purchased a service manual online but of course the book does not tell you which wires to jumper to make the motor run without the gear box. Any ideas which wires I need to invoke to make it run without it. The harness I ordered is still 2~3 days out and would like to get this motor running to see if it will need anything else.