Lost mercury key

bigwater64

Cadet
So i am in the making of redoing a older trihall with a 115 horse merc on the back. now that we are just about done with it and went to find the key for it. we could not find it. Dos any one know if you can get spare keys or what should i do. The motor is late 80s with power trim push key choke all of that on the throtle. Any idea. Thanks

matt167

Captain
Re: Lost mercury key

Mercury sells the keys but without knowing the number on the key I'm not sure what to do. Buy one of each from Merc. I've heard PTT ignition locks used less patterns than the old controls with the choke button on top

jslu

Seaman

If you dare take the control box apart, good chance you will find an ident number for the key on a small decal attached to the switch or other means of ident. That's what I did and for less than 5 bucks I got a new key from my Merc Man and this was for a control box from the 70's. Plan "B" would be to take the control box to your Merc dealer and let him try his variety of keys.
Good Luck!
Mercury sells the keys but without knowing the number on the key I'm not sure what to do. Buy one of each from Merc. I've heard PTT ignition locks used less patterns than the old controls with the choke button on top

Last edited:

Laddies

Banned

The number should be on a sticker on the side of the switch inside the control box, most good Mercury dealers will have a ring od keys so you can find the key number by trying keys till one works