Trouble filling the gearcase oil on mercury 2.5hp

Hi community

I have a problem filling my gearcase with oil on my mercury 4stroke 2.5HP , I bought a 1L can of oil , thread a tapered nozzle from another can I bought , put an hose on it , and use the fitting supplied with the maintenance kit that I thread in the fill hole , I push like a bull on the can but no oil goes out of the vent , that means not enough oil in the gearcase , do someone have a trick , it's not usual to squeeke a can 15 minutes and the gearcase is not full ... I have the feeling that I try to fill something that is close on the other side , like if the vent screw was on , but not the case

Waiting for answer from pros !!!

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Trouble filling the gearcase oil on mercury 2.5hp

The drain plug on the bottom of the casing is also used as the fill plug while the upper plug is used as the vent and fill level.

Remove BOTH plugs and drain the case. If the oil does not drain then used a length of weed wacker line to probe the drain checking for sludge that may be blocking the flow.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Fill from the bottom up,both screws out.

It finally work , it took a long time but I saw the oil coming out of the top hole , I'd better buy the pump next time instead of losing half an hour squeezing like a dumb !!!

Thanks guys