Removing Lower Unit - 2001 Mercury 90HP - 2 stroke

sjpaq

Cadet
Hello, I'm trying to change the water pump for my 2001- Mercury - 2 stroke 90HP outboard.

I have removed the 5 nuts (2 on either side and one by the anode) that hold up the lower unit, put the shifter in forward.
By shaking the lower unit, I have gotten about 1/4 inch separation and the front and about 1/8 at the back. I can't seem to remove it though.

Is it time for me to use a 2x4 and start wacking it loose?

Sure looked easy on youtube

Thanks

inumbskul

Cadet
Re: Removing Lower Unit - 2001 Mercury 90HP - 2 stroke

Hi. I just fell for the same you tube video....made it look SSSOOOOO easy. My problem was I missed 2 more bolts that were recessed between the anode and the front of the unit....not under the anode...but farther forward. Once I took those out the unit came right off and it WAS just as easy as You Tube made look. Also, after posting to this forum, NO ONE seemed to know about the two additional bolts...I went to a dealer and explained what I was doing and he was very helpful in setting me straight. Good luck.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removing Lower Unit - 2001 Mercury 90HP - 2 stroke

put the motor in neutral first, and then look for the nuts that still hold the gearcase on. On my '93 Merc, there is one in the front top, two behind it (on top), then two under the antiventilation plate and one hidden under the zinc anode.