Mercury 25 hp Two Stroke Oil/fuel Recirculation Lines

ehenry

Commander
All, 4 years ago I posted about my 2000 model Merc 25 s/n 0T093900, Model # 1-025301WD losing the bottom cylinder. Since that time this engine has been sitting in my shop. Recently, I found a 2000 model engine that the entire lower end was torn up on. I contacted the guy with the intention of selling him my engine but woundup buying his.......long story and price was right.

At any rate, I took both engines to a reputable outboard mechanic I know that works on Mercurys. When I told him that I wanted a powerhead swap done hes says "let me guess, the bottom cylinder on bad powerhead has zero compression". He then tells me about the oil recirculation line issue. He told me that some of these engines have had problems with these recirculation lines.

I have no reason not to believe him but I've never heard of "oil recirculation line" on a two stroke outboard where the fuel is mixed in the tank and is NOT an oil injected engine.

Really just wanting some verification.

Thanks

ehenry

Commander
Re: Mercury 25 hp Two Stroke Oil/fuel Recirculation Lines

carholme, Those are exactly what he pointed out to me when I took everything down there. He said that some of these engines had sand from the casting process stop up these lines. When he was doing the work he said one of my lines looked mashed or crimped.

Has anyone else heard of this?

I'm getting my old power head back along with everything thats bolted to it...power packs, starter, carb, fuel pump and what not. The powerhead I bought was dressed with everything.

He called lastnight and said it was ready to pick up so I'll go after it in the morning. I'll give a report in a day or so as to how everything turns out.

To me, though, its seems strange that the engine would run fine 9+years then decided to shoot craps on me cause of a crimped line.

ehenry

Commander
Re: Mercury 25 hp Two Stroke Oil/fuel Recirculation Lines

I picked the engine up yesterday. One of the rubber lines was definately crimped closed and one of the check valves was stopped up as well.