1988 70hp Mercury 2 stroke 3 Cylinder Shift Shaft removed by accident

Tyal38

Recruit
I was attempting to change the shift shaft seal and oring and the shift bushing was seized upon prying it out the shift shaft popped up with it I heard a click the motor was in neutral before this happened now I think it sprung into forward. When I put the rod back in it just spins around moving nothing. I take it there is a cam down there it needs to re-seat back into but I fear it has moved, its there and way of getting that cam to move around down there besides taking the prop shaft and gears all out. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer me.

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 1988 70hp Mercury 2 stroke 3 Cylinder Shift Shaft removed by accident

Here's an old thread that should help:

http://forums.iboats.com/mercury-ma...lling-shift-shaft-into-lower-unit-264376.html

If you can't get it using the method described in that thread, you'll have to pull the reverse gear/bearing carrier out of the lower unit in order to gain access to the shift cam. Fortunately it's a bit easier on yours than the older-design gearcases, since you have a bolt-on carrier.

Remove the carrier bolts and pull the "guts" out using a slide hammer or other suitable pulling device on the propshaft. Be sure to drain the oil first!

Once the bearing carrier and propshaft assy are removed, you'll have access to the shift cam, way up in the forward end of the gearcase.

Be sure to observe the correct orientation of the shift cam, the "ramps" should face to your left as viewed from the top.

Replace all O-rings and check condition of the propshaft seals and replace as required, before reassembly.

HTH & let us know how it goes.........ed

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 70hp Mercury 2 stroke 3 Cylinder Shift Shaft removed by accident

Man, I feel for you. I did the exact same thing with my motor. Unfortunately, you are going to have to pull the bearing carrier to get everything aligned once again. The shift shaft cam is just floating around in there. If you have a fresh water motor, it may not be a big deal to full the prop shaft and bearing carrier. In my case, the salt water froze the bearing carrier and it shattered when I tried to pull it out. Some thing so innocent like replacing a shift shaft seal can sure cause a lot of problems.

Good Luck