1985 35 hp Mercury No Spark

jkkeeton

Recruit
OK this is what happened. Motor was running but was rough, so I installed a new carb kit. Put the carb back on and fastened everything back down. I didn't see that the trigger wire was touching the fly wheel. I then started the motor and it ran for about 30 seconds. I looked to see what could have happened and seen that one of the two wires was cut completely in half that lead to the trigger. I spliced the wire and crimped it back together. The engine would not fire so i checked for spark nothing!! Went to a local dealer and ordered a new trigger. I put it on today thinking that had to be the problem and still no spark. Do you think i could have shorted the switch box by the fly wheel grounding the trigger out ?

Jizzonny

Recruit
Re: 1985 35 hp Mercury No Spark

I am having similar problems. No wires cut, but NO SPARK! I have replaced the two ignition cols, plugs and wires, and have ran all the diagnostics that my manual recommends...!!! Do the neutral safety switches go bad easily? Could it be the switch box for these motors??? Anyone please help!