Mercury 60hp outboard vs quicksilver problems

JesseAnne

Recruit
As we have been struggling getting the proper fix on the QuickSilver shifter, it is stuck in gear and we can't start the motor. I know there is away to circumvent the shifter so we can still use the boat for some fishing, but I don't know it. Boat is a 98 Fisher. We've had the Quicksilver replaced but found out today it isn't cooperating. Anyone know how to work around this until we can find a competent mechanic? Thanks in advance for any assistance!

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury 60hp outboard vs quicksilver problems

What is your engine s/n and do you know if the Quicksilver is a 2000/3000 or 4000?

Have you disconnected the cables at the engine to see if the shifter moves freely?

Gerry

JesseAnne

Recruit

Shifter is a 3000. Currently working out of town but will get the serial number this weekend. I just know it's a '98. We are second owners, but I believe its original to the boat. DH took shifter end apart and can use cable to shift motor into neutral... motor starts. Problem appears to be specific to the shifter, which, from what I read, is quite common with these?

carholme

Rear Admiral

Do you have the manual for the 3000 and if so, are you installing the cables to the 3000 with the throttle and shifter set to the positions as seen on page 4G-48. They have to be set correctly so that neutral is in the right position, allowing you to start through the interlock switch.

If you do not have the manual, you can download it here:

http://www.4shared.com/office/aYv2iNTC/merc_controls_newest_manual.html

Hit the Download button under View Document and when the next page opens, select Free Download.

Gerry

Last edited: