50 hp thunderbolt help

midgetme23

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 50 hp thunderbolt help

So that wiring harness that has 6 pins will work on my motor

carholme

Rear Admiral

414-22770 is a 7 pin harness. Sorry about the previous link.

Go here:

Mercury Wiring Harness

Scroll down until you see the three plugs, the one on the left is the -2770.

Gerry

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

M - You are right about the internal harness having 6 pins and the external having 7 pins. If you have a schematic for your motor, that's exactly what the diagram shows. 7 and 6 pins. No problem because the internal harness doesn't have a male pin for the 7th connector in the external harness, so it fits. Why is this, Mercury used as many common parts as possible to save manufacturing costs. This is one example.

In Gerry's link to Crowley, here is the internal harness: 52770A1 | WIRING HARNESS | Mercury | Crowley Marine

My CDI link to a 414-2770 is the same harness for twice the money. I don't know if Crowleys is OEM or CDI, but the description says OEM.

GA_Boater

Gerry - I hope I'm not giving conflicting info.

EDIT - Keeping these oldies blowing blue smoke is fun. Sometimes. :facepalm:

carholme

Rear Admiral

GA;

No problem, I couldn't figure out why he was so interested in the CDI at that price compared to Crowley, maybe he just didn't understand the 6 vs 7 pin setup. Thanks for pointing that out.

Gerry

GA_Boater

GA;

No problem, I couldn't figure out why he was so interested in the CDI at that price compared to Crowley, maybe he just didn't understand the 6 vs 7 pin setup. Thanks for pointing that out.

Gerry

I originally gave the CDI harness link because I've gotten so used to the NLA parts. So I'll take the blame for that. :facepalm: In fact I was surprised that Crowley still has the Merc harness. His motor is only 4 years newer than mine, but I could make that harness work if I had too.

carholme

Rear Admiral

No blame anywhere, let's just hope that he is happy with the results.

Gerry

midgetme23

Seaman Apprentice

I order it from Crowley after that just got to get it to throw some water

Got another ?

Is this the right wiring diagram

mercury 500 thunderbolt wiring.jpg

GA_Boater

Looks like the one I have, MM. Good luck.

midgetme23

Seaman Apprentice

mercury 500 thunderbolt wiring.jpg

The blue arrow is point to a part I need one off these what is it

GA_Boater

It's called a mercury switch and it shuts down the motor if you tilt the motor high. Disconnect it and see if the motor runs. Most people leave it disconnected.

midgetme23

Seaman Apprentice

K that what I thought it was I will just leave off till I get motor going

midgetme23

Seaman Apprentice

Well got the motor to turn over but going to need a solenoid. I can peck on it and it will turn over. I do not have any spark. I also have a question about the rectifier. According to the diagram I am suppose to have a red wire going to it. I only have 3 terminals come off of the rectifier. One is the ground and the other 2 are for the yellow wires coming from the stator. HELP I also would like to know how to test the switch box to make sure it is not bad. This motor I would say has been sitting for 5 to 10 year. If any one could help me out I would appreciate it. Is the any way to check coil or ignition driver. I also check compression and it is 120 on all 4 cylinders.

GA_Boater

Then no wire is connected to ground. Two yellow/red wires from the stator, one red wire to the harness. The rectifier is grounded through the mounting stud.

midgetme23

Seaman Apprentice

Does it matter were wires go. Top yellow middle red bottom yellow

GA_Boater

Yellow/red make no difference. Either one to the correct two input connections. The red (+) has to go to the output of the rectifier.

midgetme23

Seaman Apprentice

Well worked on motor today after couple hours I got it to hit a lick I had to add new fuel lines to it. The last time this boat was registered was back in 2002 so the motor probably has run since before then. Threw some gas to it and fired right up Idle real good pumped water good so I decide to take to river not even knowing if the boat floated Well we got there and this little bad boy run great took off with no hesitation and rev great. The little boat topped out bout 30 mph. Thanks for all the help. Got to get it transferred over to other boat only thing I need to get is a solenoid. Here is a pic off the boat it is on Kinda ugly I thought

phone pics videos 664.jpg

Boat I am going to transfer to little work but be lot nicer then tiller motor

phone pics videos 608.jpg