1983 Mercury 9.8 not running properly! Help

Farner

Recruit
Took my recently bought 83 mercury 9.8 out with my buddies tonight to do a trial and error on how it runs. Cleaned the carb changed the lower gear oil. Put a new impeller in. It started and ran great in the garage barely any smoke peeing correctly. While we were out it kept stalling and would bog down when opening up the throttle. What could this be??? One thing I haven't done and should of done before I left was change the spark plugs. The motor before I got it running had been sitting In a garage for about 4 years. Please help!!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: 1983 Mercury 9.8 not running properly! Help

Could be several things, but it sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

It may be any place starting at the tank. It could be one of the fittings sucking air, worn or hard O rings, or if you have gray fuel line the inner liner is well known to come lose and plug up the line. I would start off by taking a close look at that. I would add a mix of 1 oz per gallon of sea foam to the fuel just to help it clean out the system.

Laddies

Banned

The low speed is lean, when adjusting with out a load or back pressure the engine will always be lean in the lake