1980? mariner 50hp ignition input needed

plazmore

Cadet
hi all...

my outboard died on the water, for the first time ever, last summer, and this is my first chance to give it a look...
turns out two wires that go from the stator to the rectifier were fried...insulation crumbling, and wires looked burned and/or broken.
also, one wire from the trigger to the switchbox was also toasted and broken...
the stator had an oily sticky slime on the outside of one coil, right where the wire bundle goes in...knowing the price of a new switchbox, stator, and trigger, i decided to try and repair the wires, with whatever wires i could find...all were slightly larger gage than the original wires...the wires to the stator were toasted up to within an inch of the opening...the one to the trigger had about three inches left...and, all i had here were blue wire nuts, so for now thats whats in there...

shockingly, she fired right up! i rebuilt the carbs just for the fun of it, and she sounds as good as ever...
my questions are many. first, what kind of connectors should i replace the wirenuts with, and how do i protect them properly? second, what should i expect to happen when i take her out under a load?(i have no idea why the wires fried) i am guessing i need to start saving for all three parts...
lastly, my serial number doesnt match what i have under the hood...my stator is a ring of coils, and all my research shows that on other models, but not mine...the whole assembly is different...4cyl 50hp 1980 mariner...

any and all input is welcomed, and thanks!

plazmore

Cadet
Re: 1980? mariner 50hp ignition input needed

the serial number i forgot to add: 0587134